Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jenny\'s Roman Nutcracker
Hi Jenny!<br>
I collect nutcrackers, and noticed on one of the gaming threads you mention that you once bought a one of a kind Roman nutcracker. Might you have a photo of your nutcracker that I could see? I bet he is truly unique! In times past, i have crafted them myself, and would like to see yours as a reference, if you are able? <p>Lucius Aurelius Metellus, miles gregarius, Secunda Brittanica</p><i></i>
Lucius Aurelius Metellus
a.k.a. Jeffrey L. Greene
Oh thank GOD that's what you meant....<br>
<br>
I was getting worried about you<br>
<br>
Cavetus <p></p><i></i>
<p>Lucius Aurelius Metellus, miles gregarius, Secunda Brittanica</p><i></i>
Lucius Aurelius Metellus
a.k.a. Jeffrey L. Greene
You crack me up! <p></p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
No, seriously, I'd like to see a nutcracker in the form of a Roman soldier. Jenny is right, it would be very unique! I've seen nutcrackers in the form of many types of soldiers, but never a Roman one.<br>
Several years ago, I made my own nutcrackers, and had great fun carving them. It would be nice to see a pic of a Roman one, to get some ideas and make one myself. Not to copy Jenny's exactly, but just to see hers as a guide for inspiration. <p>Lucius Aurelius Metellus, miles gregarius, Secunda Brittanica</p><i></i>
Lucius Aurelius Metellus
a.k.a. Jeffrey L. Greene
Well, it's for sale if you want it...<br>
<br>
It was handmade, even down to the caligae straps and the tiny sewn tunic, by a German we used to call the Nutcracker Man, because he had about a hundred of them in every conceivable style. I had him specially make me one from a photo in Dan Peterson's book.<br>
<br>
Jenny<br>
<br>
<p><br>
--------------------<br>
<br>
"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they are realities, and are often even more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are."<br>
-- Niccoló Machiavelli, <em>The Discourses</em>, 1517. </p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
Hi Jenny!<br>
Thank you so much for writing! That is really quite a generous offer, and I would not be honest if I said I wasn't interested, but I must admit to you that I have been severely injured and am out of work because of it, so I wouldn't be able to afford to buy the nutcracker, at least not for a price that would be fair for you and worthy of a German-made nutcracker. The Germans make the most beautiful and best nutcrackers in the world.<br>
Again, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your offer. Perhaps you could find someone who would give the little fellow a good home, and pay you what he is worth. I do wish it was me, but I would still love to at least see what he looks like, if you would be willing?<br>
Just out of curiosity, what price are you asking for him? <p>Lucius Aurelius Metellus, miles gregarius, Secunda Brittanica</p><i></i>
Lucius Aurelius Metellus
a.k.a. Jeffrey L. Greene
Slacker! Tongue<br>
<br>
Cavetus <p></p><i></i>
A nutcracker in the form of a legionary...??<br>
<br>
KINKY!!!!!!!!!!<br>
<br>
M.VIB.M. <p><span style="color:yellow;font-family:times new roman;font-size:medium;">M.VIB.M.<br>
V COH II<br>
LEGIO X GEMINA<br>
EX GER INF</span></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hey Jenny - You\'ve Arrived! Anonymous 5 1,603 12-01-2003, 11:53 AM
Last Post: JRSCline