Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conversation with Adrian Goldsworthy
Yesterday (23 October), I spent five hours talking with author Adrian Goldsworthy. He was visiting North America to give lectures at universities in Canada, Virginia and Florida. Ours was a private conversation arranged by Geoffrey Greatrex of the University of Ottawa.

We talked about a number of subjects related mainly to Roman military history and his many fine books on this topic. He mentioned that he has started work on his next title, which will be on the fall of the western empire starting with Marcus Aurelius. This will be finished by early 2008.

Some of the subjects covered included:
whether or not centurions were appointed from the middle classes,
new discoveries at Wallsend, which suggest that Hadrian's Wall had addditional defences (trench, stakes, etc.),
swords and fighting techniques,
pila, lancea and other missile weapons,
continuity in tactics and organisation, and
Caesar - commander and politician.

I was amazed at how quickly the time passed and still had more questions when we parted.
that's good news!
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Which reminds me. I need to try to contact him and see if I can persuade him to write for Ancient Warfare magazine.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:He mentioned that he has started work on his next title, which will be on the fall of the western empire starting with Marcus Aurelius. This will be finished by early 2008.

That's just great news!!!!!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
"The Complete Roman Army", best book I ever bought
Jack
Up the Augusta!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Friendly conversation between enemies andersao 15 4,210 09-10-2007, 07:41 AM
Last Post: Tarbicus