Praetorian Cavalry<br>
Ballista<br>
Scorpion<br>
Onager<br>
Repeating Ballista<br>
General’sBodyguard<br>
<br>
<br>
I know that some are real dumb , and others are - err - a bit of a stretch.. But still the flavor is there - and I'm sure that modding will take care of many of these issues.<br>
<br>
BTW, look like the release will be as early as 09/14 - but certainly before the end of October.<br>
<br>
Barkhorn. <p></p><i></i>
Hehe - I think I will stay far away from Rome:Total War messageboards; I can't even imagine the frustration I would have if I started reading the posts from all those people who will be "experts" on Roman history and Roman warfare after playing this game.<br>
<br>
But apart from that, I'm sure it will be a fun game. Will have to do my best to withstand the temptation to buy this game...<br>
<br>
I'm already going to loose two weeks of work on Imperium because I'm off on vacation (going to the Medieval week at Visby - a wonderful old city almost preserved from the 1300s), so will be idle then. I can't imagine how much extra time I'll "waste" if I bought this game. <p>Strategy <br>
Designer/Developer <br>
Imperium - Rise of Rome</p><i></i>
Regards,

Michael A./MicaByte
...and I don't post at the .COM - too many children who have a "console" mentality.<br>
<br>
The .ORG is a good group tho' - and that is the place where many of the mods will issue forth.<br>
<br>
As for me I plan on looking into the elimination/modification of the following;<br>
* The Pigs - gone<br>
* Gladiators - gone<br>
* Dogs - gone<br>
* Flaming arrows/Onager balls - gone<br>
* Unit flags - gone, because they annoy me and detract from the graphical splendor.<br>
<br>
<br>
Barkhorn. <p></p><i></i>
[url=http://forums.totalwar.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?s=b896bf1bfc3c0530de483e32e755d6cd;act=Profile;CODE=03;MID=83-86" target="top]StrategyM[/url]knows the .org well<br>
<br>
At least he did in one of it's particularly ancient incarnations <p></p><i></i>
In the name of heaven Catiline, how long do you propose to exploit our patience..
The Romans did use wardogs. Their collar tags have been found... <p></p><i></i>
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Quote:</em></strong><hr>The Romans did use wardogs. Their collar tags have been found... <hr><br>
<br>
...but in a unit of say - 50? I don't think so....<br>
<br>
Barkhorn. <p></p><i></i>
I still have a login on the Org?<br>
<br>
Would have thought it had expired a long time ago (though I do recall asking to get my old post count transferred at one point). Wow.<br>
<br>
I think the Org had its fair share of "experts" in the old days too, though nothing like what one encounters on the official boards. In any case, these days I am less likely to let myself get drawn into that kind of endless discussions (yeah right ).<br>
<br>
Anyway, looking forward to hearing what people think of it when it comes out. <p>Strategy <br>
Designer/Developer <br>
Imperium - Rise of Rome</p><i></i>
Regards,

Michael A./MicaByte
So far it looks like every faction will have at least one or two units that need modding out, some (like the Egyptians) will need almost all their units replaced, and a few (Gauls) are terribly bland, even more so than if they had incorporated some more historical units.<br>
<br>
I'll buy it anyway, but I really hope the modders will come through with some very extensive historical accuracy mods. I predict that will take a while though, as this game will need a lot of modding to live up to its potential and that takes time, especially considering that the people who modify games still have jobs/lives. <p></p><i></i>
I thought modders were geeks until I came to appreciate the Desert Combat mod for BF 1942... now I think they're the best thing for the industry since... joysticks? Anyway, mod community is breathing some fresh creative life back into a stale and commercialized world of games producers.<br>
<br>
Hi Catiline! Long time no see... Whatever happened to the Dojo?<br>
<br>
Jenny<br>
once known as Mariko...<br>
<br>
<p><br>
--------------------<br>
<br>
"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they are realities, and are often even more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are."<br>
-- Niccoló Machiavelli, <em>The Discourses</em>, 1517. </p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
Quote:...and a few (Gauls) are terribly bland..
<br>
<br>
Bland sounding yes, but look at the latest screens;<br>
<br>
www.gamespot.com/pc/strat...index.html<br>
<br>
With some historically accurate mods this game could be 'the one'.<br>
<br>
Barkhorn. <p></p><i></i>
check out the Total Realism mod...a joint effort of various people in an attempt to make a more historically accurate version of the game. I'm waiting for some improved skins for the Roman shields...and some other minor details for the game for me to download the mods. I would really love them to fix the "magic bag" that the legions stored their pila in...and only when they throw their pila, their swords turn into pila! Why can't they march with their pila, and throw them before they pull out their swords? Oh well...I don't mod...and can't, so I'll wait I guess....<br>
<br>
<br>
www.rometotalrealism.com/<br>
<br>
They got rid of those War Dogs, Arcani, Screaming Women and more...<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Valmar,<br>
<br>
Many thanks for the link to the Rome Total Realism guys. I was expecting someone to come out with something like this, but I thought I'd have to wait months.<br>
<br>
I've now downloaded it and will be loading it up tonight.<br>
<br>
One point - the mod Read Me says that I have to apply the RTW Patch 1.1. Excuse the dumb newbie question, but where/how do I apply this? I've downloaded the zipped patch, but can't find any documentation or Read Me to explain what to do with it. As I said, that's a total newbie question, but I buy about two games a year and have never applied a patch in my entire life.<br>
<br>
Anyway, once I get the Realism Mod going I intend to play it a bit and then post a review here. What I've seen of it via screenshots, forum postings etc, it looks great. I have some ideas for further enhancing the Germanics in future versions, but I'll wait until I've played the modded version for a while first.<br>
Cheers and thanks again,<br>
<p>Tim O'Neill / Thiudareiks Flavius<br>
<br>
Visit 'Clades Variana' - Home of the Varus Film Project<br>
<br>
Help create the film of Publius Quinctilius Varus' lost legions.<br>
<br>
Come to my [url=http://www.ancientworlds.net/member/Gunthigg/Thiudareiks" target="top]Stathigg[/url] in [url=http://www.ancientworlds.net/aw/City/23413" target="top]Germania[/url] at the [url=http://www.ancientworlds.net/" target="top]Ancient Worlds[/url] community.</p><i></i>
Tim ONeill / Thiudareiks Flavius /Thiudareiks Gunthigg

HISTORY FOR ATHEISTS - New Atheists Getting History Wrong
Please ignore the above request about the patch - it pretty much handled itself.<br>
Cheers, <p>Tim O'Neill / Thiudareiks Flavius<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
Come to my [url=http://www.ancientworlds.net/member/Gunthigg/Thiudareiks" target="top]Stathigg[/url] in [url=http://www.ancientworlds.net/aw/City/23413" target="top]Germania[/url] at the [url=http://www.ancientworlds.net/" target="top]Ancient Worlds[/url] community.</p><i></i>

Yea, glad to have helped. I'd really like the people from the Total Realism Mod to seek out some other resources...even this forum for more input on how to make the game more historically accurate. They're doing a good job...but I might wait just a few more versions to download it. Let me know your thoughts on the mod, I'm curious to know.<br>
<br>
Val <p></p><i></i>
I loaded it up last night and stayed up way too late playing it, so that's probably an indication of my level of satisfaction. Of course, it's a work-in-progress, but even the current version is worth having. No 'screeching women', less fantasy armour, no anachronistic province/tribal names and, best of all, NO WAR DOGS!<br>
<br>
It also seems a bit harder than the standard RTW, even on the easiest setting. I played two custom battles - one was Gauls against Germanics and I (the Gauls) got creamed using tactics which had always worked for me in the past. I then tackled the Macedonians fighting as early(ish) Romans and struggled to the point where they beat me, but only just. The Macedonian phalanxes seemed a lot more manourverable and the Roman's use of pila more realistic.<br>
<br>
I'll play it a bit more this evening and post anything else worth noting.<br>
<br>
I wouldn't mind making some suggestions to the Total Realism guys myself. Replacing the Germanic phalanxes with bodies of spearmen (but not phalanxes per se) works well. I would also like to see the Germanic infantry, perhaps the elite foot retinues only, be able to form a cuneus/wedge as described in Tacitus. The wolfskin-wearing berserkers are a touch too fantasy/Hollywood/<em>Gladiator</em> for my liking. Replacing them with shaggy-haired, oath-taking, Chattian-style fanatics as per Tacitus would be much better. Having at least some of the Germanic warriors in top-knot rather than Suebian knot hairstyles would also add some visual variety.<br>
<br>
There's another RTW mod which adds several new 'Historical Battles'. I'm loading that one tonight, so I'm not sure how good it is. It has a version of Adrianople, but I assume that's with First Century Romans rather than Fourth Century ones. I'm talking to the mod's developer about amending that one and we're discussing a more historical Teutoburgerwald battle (better than the rather crappy one in the standard RTW version) and, perhaps, a Battle of Chalons. Both that and an updated Adrianople may need to wait until someone develops some Late Roman Army skins.<br>
<br>
This game is taking up way more of my life than I expected ... Especially considering I have very little spare time these days.<br>
Cheers,<br>
<p>Tim O'Neill / Thiudareiks Flavius<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>