Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Late Roman fibula from Yorkshire
[Image: 57_DSCF1614_1.jpg]
From a field near Stockton, roughly between York and Hadrian's Wall. I've seen it classified as a type 6ii (Ellen Swift), one of the very last in its class, 5th c.
Last Friday, this image was published on the Camp Site forum.
[Image: 57_Davids_brooch_X_ray_1.jpg]
X-ray picture.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
That's a very nice brooch! It's interesting that the terminal at the end of the bow appears to be riveted on rather than cast like the terminals of the 'crossbar' maybe it has been repaired?

One for Nodge Nolan.... Big Grin
Quote:It's interesting that the terminal at the end of the bow appears to be riveted on rather than cast like the terminals of the 'crossbar' maybe it has been
That seems indeed to have been the case.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Caius Here Pardon my lack of Knowledge is this a type that would have been used by the Roman Military?It looks like it might but I am not sure. Either way its agreat find anf very nice piece .Cheers Caius
He who desires peace ,let him prepare for war. He who wants victory, let him train soldiers diligently. No one dares challenge or harm one who he realises will win if he fights. Vegetius, Epitome 3, 1st Century Legionary Thomas Razem
Recent thinking (Ellen Swift) has it that these fibulae were produced by the state and presented as gifts to either military commanders or allied dignitaries. But when you see Stilicho's son also wearing something similar it's clear that civilians also wore these items. There sure was some fashion where civilians wanted to wear clothing (sagum, braccae) and equipment (fibula, cingulum) that were originally worn by the military. To me that signifies that the military were not in any low esteem.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans