Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Art + Architecture Funerary Catacombs
Years ago, I learned Hochdeutsch in American schools (with native Frisian, Pomeranian, and Prussian teachers). Later, I learned Bairisch and Plattdeutsch when living and working in Germany for three years. During those years, my spouse & I traveled to Belgium and the Netherlands several times, and I also worked with Dutch and Belgians in Germany, so I started reading Hollands and Vlaams. My departed Grandmother (Swedish) read and spoke some Svenska.

Similarly, I first learned Spanish (Castillian) in American schools, then Mexican, Puerto Rican, and Venezuelan dialects from publications and from people with whom I worked and lived over the years. This made it easier for me to learn basic French, Italian, and Latin.

Since all of these languages use the Latin alphabet, and many Latin-derived words, it makes it easier for me to learn each related language by: (1) learning how native speakers pronounce their languages' words; (2) recalling similarly pronounced words in closely-related languages, which may have the same or similar meaning; and (3) considering word order, context, etc.

However, reading and listening other languages is generally much easier than speaking of writing in those languages! You would roll on the floor laughing if you had heard some of my bigger linguistic mistakes! :lol: Fortunately, the listeners smiled (rather than feel offended) and they correctly repeated what they thought I meant to say. That approach helps me the most to learn from my mistakes. Practice, practice, practice! Smile
AMDG
Wm. / *r
Quote:One of my professors who is specialized in early Christianity (Dr. Arnold Provoost) made an inventory of the frescos in several catacombs in Rome.
Jef: Another laud for you. Dr. Provoost's works are very impressive, as evidenced from only the small portions available on the internet. Some of his other works are still in print, including "The Material Culture of the Early Christians" (my approximate translation of the title). Much more for me to explore! Many thanks. Best regards, +r
AMDG
Wm. / *r
Quote:
Marcus Mummius:31poaqxj Wrote:One of my professors who is specialized in early Christianity (Dr. Arnold Provoost) made an inventory of the frescos in several catacombs in Rome.
Jef: Another laud for you. Dr. Provoost's works are very impressive, as evidenced from only the small portions available on the internet. Some of his other works are still in print, including "The Material Culture of the Early Christians" (my approximate translation of the title). Much more for me to explore! Many thanks. Best regards, +r

He is a real expert indeed. He has dedicated his entire career to research early christianity so it's no surprise Smile He's a very warm and friendly man on top of that. I'm sure that if you'd want info on his work and his publications he'd be happy to help you. He usualy answers emails very fast so you can contact him this way.

Kind regards,
Jef
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Wilpert, Joseph [Hrsg.], 1903, "Die Malereien der Katakomben Roms," Tafeln, Freiburg, Germany.

Online at: http://diglit.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/digl ... bf3e413873 (University of Heidelberg)
AMDG
Wm. / *r

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rural Roman Architecture Bryan 1 1,087 09-03-2014, 06:49 AM
Last Post: Vindex
  Roman Art + Architecture Christian Early Church Restitvtvs 17 7,382 04-08-2012, 12:16 AM
Last Post: Restitvtvs
  Roman Art + Architecture (General) Restitvtvs 11 4,513 04-17-2011, 03:25 AM
Last Post: Restitvtvs