Hebrew sickle-sword
Avete,
I was wondering if anyone knew of the
sickle-sword of the ancient Hebrew and
Mesopotamian(and others)armies?
I've seen a few pics somewhere and
it was shown with evolved variations
in a recent program on those times,
battle of Jerico,etc.Late Bronze age,I believe.
I'd love to have/make one.
It would make a very cool new addition.
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Didn't the Egyptians use some kind of curved single handed blade? I'll be at the time you talked about, the Hebrews (having just left a 400 year stay in Egypt) would have used what was common there.

I thought the Egyptian curved sword was sharp on the outside curve, though, not on the inside like a sickle.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Correct. The blade is referred to as a khopesh, or khepesh, or variations thereof. It was used in the land of Canaan and Egypt and Syria; and it was sharp on the outside of the curve, even though it is called a "sickle" sword.
Felix Wang
I do recall seeing the remains of one in a archeology musuem in Jerusalem.
Bruce
Well, you know, when you take a flat bar of metal, and forge one side thinner, it will tend to stretch that side out, and will automatically make a curve with the forged side on the outside, unless action is taken to straighten it. So it figures that the outer radius would be the blade. Wicked instrument, I'll bet, capable of causing terrible slicing wounds.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Andy, if you are looking for additional information on khopesh and Bronze Age reenacting in general, take a look at the Bronze Age Center. Several RAT denizens post there, including Matthew Amt.

http://s8.invisionfree.com/Bronze_Age_C ... hp?act=idx

Some excellent discussion regarding Bronze Age reenacting and its associated knick-knacks.
Paul Basar - Member of Wildfire Game\'s Project 0 AD
Wildfire Games - Project 0 A.D.
Craig at Manning offers two different versions of khopesh. One is listed as a Canaanite Sword. His work is always beautiful IMHO.

Cordially,

Michael
Mediocris Ventvs Qvod Seqvax Maris

Michael
Yes, wicked wounds, much like the ceremonial Gurkha sword. And, like the Gurkha sword, rather cumbersome to use. The balance is very awkward, similar to a large axe but with more overall weight distribution. It takes quite a bit of work to get used to it. The things just move weird.

On the other hand, a friend of mine uses a small kopesh in throwing competitions, and he is very handy with it, far better than with traditional knives or axes. I haven't tried it myself, so I don't know if it simply suits his throwing style, but his scores have improved noticeably since he started using it.
Globuli Non Ludibrii

-- Felix Canus_____
-- Cedric Einarsson