Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ROMAN GLADIATORS TRIDENT. EXTREMELY RARE. IN ADDITION INTACT
on ebay

Roman Empire, circa 1st-3rd century AD. The offered extremely rare and undoubtedly missing in the most valuable collections ROMAN GLADIATORS TRIDENT is amazingly large, heavy and absolutely intact! Please note the shape of the amazing prongs. One of them has an opposite barb so it would be too difficult to survive if such a weapon goes into the human body. I wouldn't say that it is unique, of course it is not. However, it was not found in any of the sales of the major auction houses which means that it is EXTREMELY RARE!!! Found in the famous ancient city of Philippopolis in the ancient Roman province of Thrace. A few of the rarest ancient bronze provincial coins minted in Philippopolis are representing the Ancient Olympic Games in this city. The Gladiators games were part of these games.

Philippopolis is one of the oldest cities of Europe, being older than Rome, Athens, and Constantinople. The first traces of civilization at the place date from the Mycenaean period.

Known at the time as a Thracian fortified settlement named Eumolpia, in 342 BC it was conquered by Philip II of Macedon, father of Alexander the Great, who renamed it Philippopolis. It was later independent under the Greeks, until it was incorporated into the Roman Empire, under which it was called Trimontium (City of Three Hills) and served as capital of the province of Thrace. Thrimontium was an important crossroad for the Roman Empire. "Via Militaris", the biggest military path in the Balkan Peninsula, passed through. It was one of the most glorious moments in the history of the city. It spread beyond the three hills, and numerous public buildings, shrines, public bathrooms, theatres. Many ruins from Roman times can still be seen in the city.

:roll: :wink: Cry :lol:
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
I don't see anything....

Did you forget the link..?

Johnny
Johnny Shumate
I dont think i'm allowed to link to ebay as its a sellers site ????????

If you go to ebay.com & type in ROMAN GLADIATORS TRIDENT you should get it.
Conal Moran

Yoda
Quote:I dont think i'm allowed to link to ebay as its a sellers site ????????
You are right. But you may post a picture.
Is it this one?
[Image: 050803.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Nope its a different one. I hav eteh pictures but can't seem to be able to post them here Cry [/img]
Conal Moran

Yoda
Add an attachment from your own pc?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
I ran the search and turned up nothing.
Pecunia non olet
I cant work out how to post so if someone can e-mail or pm me I will let them have pictures but it will need to b eafter 2 Oct as I will be speakingo Italiano veryo laodo lika we Britos do besta :oops: ( I'll be in sunny Sorrento )
Conal Moran

Yoda
Hi omnes,

the trident has obviously been reposted. Very interesting, the spike in the middle looks like a normal blade of a lance and the outer spikes look as if they had been added. Not as perfect as one would expect, so may-be an evidence for authenticity?. You can run the search with 'ROMAN GLADIATORS TRIDENT. VERY RARE', at it is yet for almost 4 days at Ebay, current prize 9,99 USD.

Look at the photo under this url:

[url:gsevzqgk]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/uwe-bahr/Original-Dreizack1.jpg[/url]

Greets - Uwe

BTW, Robert, how can I add a photo directly from my PC and post it here without creating an own url?
Greets - Uwe
Quote:BTW, Robert, how can I add a photo directly from my PC and post it here without creating an own url?

Use the 'add an attachment' button at the bottom when you post. When you click it the page opens again, but with another button next to the 'add' button, allowing you to select a file (not too large!) from your own pc. Then hit submit if you want to post.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Thank You, Robert, that helped me very much. Big Grin D D

Greets and laudes Nr. 204 for You

Uwe
Greets - Uwe
It looks good, very compact as often shown in period illustrations and as confirmed by the trident wound on the Ephesus skull, unlike the oversized cinema trident. And if it were a fishing trident one would expect the tines to have barbed tips. a very definite maybe.
Pecunia non olet
But couldn't it be also a pitchfork with straight prongs???
Hi,

i've ben collecting artefacts off ebay for a while now and I've always tried to match items with illustrations or museum finds.

It doesnt look uniform enough to be a late period pitchfork but the rolled base where it would be rivotted through to a wooden shank is very commonplace of roman period spear heads.

I does look rather authentic in this regard. would be a great add to a collection.
Rubicon

"let the die be cast "

(Stefano Rinaldo)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trident from Kempten? caiusbeerquitius 17 7,745 05-18-2012, 08:13 AM
Last Post: topdump
  uncommon weapons form (sword and trident) Titus Thurinus 10 4,528 02-08-2011, 09:24 AM
Last Post: john roberts
  trident Martin Kealey 14 6,065 10-21-2007, 06:43 PM
Last Post: Robert