Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newsletter September \'06
Dear members,
High-time for another newsletter!

Arrow 1: Links to RAT. I still see many 'referrals' to RAT from secondary domain names. Please note that the only link that will always work is www.romanarmy.com/rat. I hope it will not be necessary, but if we ever move, there is no guarantee that the romanarmy.nl address will keep working and the w10.eleven2.com address is guaranteed not to work in that case. So please check your bookmarks and update them. Thanks!
Arrow 2: Join date. Some old-time RAT-ers made new accounts here when we moved away from Ezboard. That new account does not reflect their correct join date. That is fairly inconsequential, unless you are proud of your long-time support of RAT and want the corresponding service m;edals when you're entitled to them. Therefore, if you can show me a link to your old Ezboard profile that shows your old join-date, I'm prepared to correct your RAT join date.
I have, on occasion, also been asked to update members' postcounts. That too is possible, if you can prove beyond unreasonable (sic!) doubt what your post count should be. In practice that is only possible if you did not use your old Ezboard account on RAT v2 and can point me to your old profile that reflects your Ezboard post count.
Arrow 3: RAT Conference. From November 17th to 19th 2006 we will have a RAT conference in Augsburg, Germany. Several members will present papers, but all RAT-ers are welcome to drop in. If this conference turns out to be a success, we will try to organise them on a regular basis both in Europe and in the US.
Find the details on the conference here.
Arrow 4: Armae offer, European reenactment supplier Armae as of now offers their entire Greek and Roman range at a 20% discount to RAT members. Simply mention your RAT-username with your order to use this discount.
Arrow 5: Passwords. A security suggestion: please alter your password regularly to reduce the chance of someone hacking your account. Go to your profile to update your password and profile data.
Arrow 6: Roman helmets!. The Roman Helmet Database on Romanarmy.com has expanded almost 100% in the last weeks. There are now some 80 helmets in the database, each with as much data and as many photos as we can get our hands on. Some 10 more are awaiting processing. To support this database, Dr.Mike Thomas has written a summary of Robinson's famous, but sometimes mystifying helmet typology. Read the article here.
Arrow 7: Deepeeka Imperial Gallic H, you kept on reading? Good, cause here's the reward. Deepeeka have upgraded their Imperial Gallic H helmet with the help of RAT members. As a 'thank you' they are offering 10 helmets to RAT members at the very reduced price of $165 including shipping (normally $235)!
Now to ensure that everyone has a fair chance of getting one of these ten helmets, we'll instate the following procedure. Sunday OCTOBER 1st (at 10.00PM GMT (that's 5PM EST, 11.00PM Amsterdam) I will start a new thread in the RAT marketplace titled Deepeeka Imperial Gallic H. The first ten members to put a message in that thread claiming a helmet, will get one.
Remember, if you claimed it, you bought it!

That's it for now!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine