Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Off to Sorrento
Hi

I'm off to Sorrento for a week on Friday, will do Pompeii, Herculanium and Naples museum.

Any other little gems I shold consider in that area ?
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Take the hydrofoil to Capri from Sorrento harbour and walk up the the villa of Tiberius.

If you can get transport (car hire) whatever you do, GO TO PAESTUM! it's stunning! Great museum there too.

Villa di Stabia is woth a look if you get time!
Cheers

I'll see about adding that to the itinery Big Grin
Conal Moran

Yoda
We hired a car. Most terrifying experience of my life. Believe me, the Circus Maximus is alive and well, and on the roads of southern Italy!

I wish we could have gone to the Naples Museum, really - but just getting there was a problem, no way I was going to drive into Naples (the guidebooks tell you not to attempt such a madcap feat) and the railway from Sorrento terminates in the eastern edge of Naples.

Blah, too much city for me.

Pompeii - stunning!

Herculaneum - take a picnic, its beautiful. We ate cheese and bread, grapes and other great food along with some Lacrimi Christ, wine grown on the slopes of Vesuvius.

Bellisimo!

Are you going up Vesuvius? Grab a handful of ash from up there as a momento, its really small pebbles, not what you expect.
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
Try a visit to Ravello! With a little luck, you'll meet Gore Vidal.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
You might want to go to Cape Misenum and Baiae, also the Archaeological Museum at Naples. Take the train to Naples main station, then walk to the museum, it´s quite close. Don´t carry a wallet, just put some cash in your trouser´s front pockets. It´s a MUST, for many of the pieces missing in Pompeji itself are there. Paestum yes, Peroni is very right. Great place, best preserved Greek temples in the whole Mediterranean, methinks.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
I do plan to do Vesuvius.

My must dos are Naples Museum ( Gladiator Equipment ), Pompeii ( Arena )

& Vesuvius ( Spartacus ) ...see a theme developing Big Grin
Conal Moran

Yoda