Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Robinson Typology on RA.com
Always wanted to know what makes an Imperial Italic F different? Read up on Russell-Robinson's criteria thanks to Dr.Mike Thomas' article on the main site
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Ave Jasper,

yes, Mike did a brilliant job, exremely useful to understand Robinson's system.

Many thanks, Mike! Let the laudes rain down on him Big Grin
Greetings from germania incognita

Heiko (Cornelius Quintus)

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
I echo Heiko's statement.

This piece of work from Mike will be a much used document by the RAT members I'm certain.

For those that do not have a copy of Robinson's book, it will allow them to understand all the typology gobbledigook that we write about!

Well done!
I may have missed something, but this is text only, right? Would it be possible to add thumbnails with links to helmets in the database? For those like me who don't really know the difference between a Coolus and a Monterfortino (let alone an Imperial Gallic Z), it would be a great aide.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Good idea Robert. I think that would work well.
Cool. Good work. Thank you Mike. Finally I'll know, what are you all talking about here Big Grin

I second Robert's remark. It would be great to have links to most representative examples of individual types.

Greetings
Alexandr
I'm trying to figure out how to link to a selection (i.e. all examples of the type), if that fails, I'll link to single helmets.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
All,

Jasper and I discussed to cross link the Robinson article / helmet data base on romanarmy.com with the below linked page on www.romancoins.info/MilitaryEquipment-Helmet.html , that attempts a concordance of the continental classification with the Robinson one.

Personally I feel that the Robinson classification, useful as it may have been in the seventies, creates way too many artificial subtypes. Often it is difficult to differentiate between ie E and F. And quite frankly it is also irrelevant. And the differentiation between imperial gallic and imperial italic etc is quite arbitrary also. Not to mention the mixed bag of so called Auxiliary Infantry and Cavallry.

Roman manufacturing practice will not have followed this classification :wink: But be that as it may, we have made the attempt as best as we could and linked small images to the Continental classification

Hope this is useful even to Robinson supporters Big Grin

Andreas
I think especially the timeline with pictures is a nice addition to graphically illustrate developments in helmet design. (include disclaimers at will in the previous sentence, especially at development and design).
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys