Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burgh Castle Helmet
Hello,
I am very interested in the late Roman Army, but I'm having a hard time finding any information about it. As a hobby, I forge things. (I'm not very good, but I'm getting better) I would like to try my hand at the "Burgh Castle" helmet. Does anyone some good pictures I may use? Also, what time period and where was this helmet used? Unfortunately, Google doesn't have many answers. Thanks for your help.

EDIT: If I make one that you all like, I might be willing to make some for other members. But first, I need to get it authentic.

EDIT AGAIN: What is the correct thickness of the metal to use?
Eric

Brush-Popper extraordinaire
Hi Eric

Description now, pics shortly.

According to Bishop & Coulston, the Burgh Castle example was similar to the Concesti helmet and another found recently at Independenta. It has an undecorated iron four piece bowl. Each half consisted of two non-touching plates rivetted together by a wide tapering band.

The Concesti helmet was found in a fifth-century Hunnic grave. The general 'Berkasovo type' ridge helm seems to be evidenced for the 4th-5th centuries but also appear on coins from Constantine I & into the C6th and the similar C6th-7th Sutton Hoo helm & others suggest a survival of the type.

cheers

Smile
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
This is the standard Deepeeka model:

Comitatus Burgh Castle Type

I believe the proportions are a bit out on this one. According to recent RAT discussion, the cheekpieces are more convex and less tall, the neck piece is shorter and should be attached with 2 buckled leather straps hung from inside the bowl.

The type is described as 4th century. Burgh Castle is in Norfolk, England & was only built in the C4th.

I understand the usual reference work is: Johnson S, A Late Roman Helmet from Burgh Castle, Britannia XI, (1980) pp303-12

Unfortunately, I don't have any photo's of the artefact myself. The best illustration I have seen is in Stephenson's Romano-Byzantine Infantry Equipment 2006, Tempus.

According to Stephenson re the general type, the additional band which curves over each eye is rivetted inside the rim and the nasal rivetted to the front of the helmet.

There appear to be ten rivets on each side of the reconstructed ridge band, which has a thin proud ridge similar to the Concesti, but has a portion missing.

The side bands go under the ridge band but do not appear to meet & are fixed with three sets of three rivets on each side, (but one of the middle groups has a fourth overlapping the central rivet, looking to me like a repair).

I wonder if a scan of this illustration would be considered fair use for srudy? :roll:

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
Thanks for the info!
Eric

The nasal on the Comitatus replica is way-y too big. Besides, no nasal was found on the original, which means we can but guess what it looked like.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
How long should it be? What would you think the shape should be? Do you have any pictures of teh original? I found a bunch good pictures of the Concesti, and if they're similar, I will go off that.
Eric

Quote:The nasal on the Comitatus replica is way-y too big. Besides, no nasal was found on the original, which means we can but guess what it looked like.

Absolutely. This Deepeeka model is more of a 'speculative reconstruction' than a replica & seems based more on the Concesti, but that doesn't look to me like it has an extant nasal either, just maybe a space for the 'eyebrows'.

You see this style called 'Burgh Castle' but the find is very fragmentary - I can't see any neck or cheek guards, nor the lower band which on the Concesti bears (rectangular!) ear-holes (possibly a fragment, but not the ear-hole section). There is something which may be part of an 'eyebrow', but I'd really need to check the reference given above.

The Burgh Castle's side bands flair seem more curved than the Concesti's too.

cheers Smile

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
That scan for study purposes only:

[url:2xws18ga]http://pics.livejournal.com/salvianus/pic/000a5s1c/[/url]

Stephenson, I.P. 2006 Romano-Byzantine Infantry Equipment, Stroud: Tempus p24

Click 'Full Size' below the image to get the best results.

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
Ste,

Once again I must add my admiration for your blog and gallery!
Comitatus is by far the best group when it comes to website coverage of their events! :!:
And in general Late Roman appearance and reconstruction too - why won't you folks come to Archeon?? Cry Can't you let the gear travel by truck and fly to The Netherlands as some Scottish groups do? PLEASE!!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Robert is right as usual!

What especially tickles my imagination is the glimpses of those late roman ridge helmets with masks. Is it possible to see some better/bigger pictures of those reconstructions, if they really are owned/made by your group!?

Btw, what evidence do we have of those masked helmets or is it only interpretation based on those later adaptations on germanic helmets like Sutton Hoo for example?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
:oops: You are too kind, Robert.

I'll ask the group again - we had out 1700th anniversary of the proclamation of Constantine this year - I hope some of us can make it in 2007. Remind me of next year's date?

Sorry, Virilis, where are the ridge helmets with masks of which you speak? I haven't seen these in action. Most of us wear standard Deepeeka models, but Mithras is leading the way in cutting down the neck guards & experimenting with removeable crests. The Der-el-Medineh was a one off made to order & the scale coifs made by another member. Some of the guys have Vendel replicas which have been used on our C7th shows.

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
I mean the bottom picture of this page:
http://www.comitatus.net/germanic.htm

At least they seem to me like late roman helmets with masks :wink: ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
I'm sorry I can't shed any light on those face-masks, I inherited that cavalry photo from an earlier event before I was a member, I don't know who owns them or what the are! I guess they may be part of an 'Arthurian' impression, 6thC British? My helmet-fu is weak...
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
Quote:I guess they may be part of an 'Arthurian' impression, 6thC British? My helmet-fu is weak...
I had those pics on my pc before it crashed... They're from Bolsover 2003 or maybe earlier. It was an equestrian group doing Arthurian stuff (I think it was The Troop), and the pics were on a website from a guy who made very nice pics from all sorts of events. Long gone too, btw.

I only have some smaller pictures left of that event and from a similar outing at Wroxeter. Mail me and I'll send em to you if you want.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
[Image: maskedhelm2.jpg][Image: maskedhelm.jpg]
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Burgh Castle Helmet patterns Chuck Russell 5 2,352 01-15-2007, 12:26 PM
Last Post: aitor iriarte