Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paint my scutum!
Thanks Tarbicvs,

Will get the paint flowing shortly. The waxing of the casien sounds like a tricky job. What sort of paints are on the Deepeeka shields, by the way? Should we want a large quantity, I'm thinking of sending them our shield design with the large thunderbolt (check my posted impression), unless I get feedback that we got it all wrong, that is! :wink:
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Quote:The waxing of the casien sounds like a tricky job.

Encaustic is a paint in itself. You can buy the beeswax and resin (or turpentine if you're not fussy), and mix in pigment yourself if you wanted.
[url:3vuauzs7]http://www.sinopia.com/encaustic.html[/url]

The same site also has a page on casein:
[url:3vuauzs7]http://www.sinopia.com/casein.html[/url]
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Ahh, yes, that is what I meant to imply. I checked the sites you sent me, most helpfull. The casien painting looks a lot easier, so perhaps I'll start there and move to encaustic for the next shield. Any way of preventing the blotches when casien gets splattered with rain?
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
I wouldn't know how to stop the blotches, sorry. Perhaps a period varnish could work, or even beeswax?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Paste beeswax should work nicely- I love the stuff
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Punic wax or linseed oil.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Paste beeswax?? Never heard of that before, but then my knowledge of "Roman" technical English needs honing! Could you describe the product to me, so I can search Dutch/German vendors for the stuff. I was thinking of using wallpaper varnish, as this seems to be an organic base, too. Need to read up on it, though (as wel as period varnishes)
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Sure, and I can do you one better- here's the product exactly: [url:1ieh15wv]http://www.briwax.co.uk/products/beeswax.html[/url] it's made in England actually by J.W. Bollon & Company- who have a Royal Appointment- and the product line is called Briwax. The particular one I'm talking about is thier Natural Creamed Beeswax. It's simply refined beeswax, linseed oil and turpentine. I admit the Romans probably didn't use a lot of turpentine, but it evaporates so doesn't remain on the object being waxed so I see no accuracy conflict myself Smile
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
He Matt,

Thanks! It seems to be a traditional funiture wax like my old granny used. Great stuff, and the perfect sollution (pardon the pun) it would appear for my problems with blotchy casien. Will try it out as soon as I get my casien in (back of the shield first). Any comments on the shield emblem, by the way? (You can see it on our site in fotogalary)

[/img]
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Quote:He Matt,

Thanks! It seems to be a traditional funiture wax like my old granny used.

Exactly- it's nice, simple, natural stuff and it works very nicely. Also the smell of the turpentine dissipates fairly quickly and I don't notice it at all once the wax dries. A lot of modern furniture polishes have cleaners and other kinds of synthetic components, which I don't like. It's not cheap, but it seems to go a very long way. I've applied it to a casein painted scutum and it waterproofs very well. You'll probably have to re-apply it over time, although I'm not sure just how often that'd be since it'd be dependent on the use and conditions in which the scutum is used/ kept.

The emblem is nice- is it one you chose from a monument or tombstone? My impression is that usually the lightning bolts are opposite to one another rather than the same all the way around (just at different angles) the way you have them- it's an interesting look Smile
The design is based on the symmetry of the swastika symbol (don't worry, as a Dutchie, the horrors of WWII bring no desire for the past in the present) combined with the lightning to form a striking pattern.
I have checked the tombstones, but found it most difficult to tie in an emblem with a unit which would have been here at the time. Most of the cohorts were probable detachment, so we are opting for a Minerva I cohors equitata, given the archaeological evidence of mounted cohors in a number of castella. A lot of thanks to Jona, who has done much research on units present in these parts through time. I'm hoping for an update end of this year from the university at Nijmegen. Should evidence appear to suggest I am in error in the chosen, of course the emblem will be changed. A "make-believe" design may cause less controversy then an incorrect one for period and place, though. It is more difficult to get the alignment right, because any offset is far more obvious when working in symmetry.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Paint \"Sealant\" for Roman Scutum Antoninus05 6 2,311 11-06-2011, 06:09 AM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  Mailing a scutum paint job jkaler48 18 4,505 10-12-2008, 06:16 PM
Last Post: Tiberius Clodius Corvinus
  Scutum paint SOCL 61 13,858 08-21-2007, 05:21 PM
Last Post: SOCL