Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Non composite recurve bows used by the auxiliary archers?
A recurve bow simply has two curves- one direction from the handle and the opposite direction further along to the end- so each limb has an 's' shape- as opposed to, say, an English Longbow which is not a recurve. A composite bow is made of different materials- a composite. It has a wooden core, a layer of sinew on the front face and a layer of horn on the back face. The sinew resists extension and the horn resists compression, allowing a LOT of power in a smaller bow.

To be honest, since a composite bow is a relatively complex weapon requiring a lot of time and a fair amount of expertise to make, I would think the question would be more accurately is there evidence for more composite bows than just self-bows (one piece wood only). I know bow 'ears'- the limb end portions with the string nocks have been found at several Roman sites confirming the use of composite bows, but I honestly can't see them being the vast majority of the weapons. The problem of evidence is, of course, that wood doesn't survive particularly well. The bow ears are bone or some other tough material.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!

Messages In This Thread
Re: Non composite recurve bows used by the auxiliary archers? - by Matt Lukes - 09-16-2006, 12:08 AM
bows - by Caius Fabius - 09-18-2006, 06:05 PM
Thanks! - by mpferrell - 09-28-2006, 06:46 PM