Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pax Romana Released
The Wargamer has a press release stating that Pax Romana has hit stores.<br>
<br>
Link = www.wargamer.com/news/news.asp?nid=289<br>
<br>
I'll admit that I am intrigued by the screenshots - but I have no idea what the game is all about - and the official website is not much help either.<br>
<br>
Anyone get it yet? Feedback?<br>
<br>
Thanks,<br>
Barkhorn. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=barkhorn1x>Barkhorn1x</A> at: 11/7/03 6:49 pm<br></i>
It's a game which - in concept - is supposedly a cross between Europa Universalis and the board game Republic of Rome (which is also one of the major inspirations of Imperium).<br>
<br>
Potentially very exciting game, though it's "release" (if it has in fact been released) has been marred by abysmal marketting by the publisher.<br>
<br>
Considering buying it myself as well - though I'll at least wait until it gets reviewed somewhere... which may be a long wait.<br>
<p>Strategy <br>
Designer/Developer <br>
Imperium - Rise of Rome</p><i></i>
Regards,

Michael A./MicaByte
Battle screens are very disapointing, for that show I would rather have it in a small screen within the strategic map as in Europa Universalis<br>
<br>
<br>
image.com.com/gamespot/im...een007.jpg <p></p><i></i>
Yea, but the level of detail on Roman politics and the interplay between factions sounds very nice.<br>
<br>
I've ordered a copy - should have next week. I'll post some comments.<br>
<br>
Barkhorn. <p></p><i></i>
Ok, I will wait for your comments before ordering mine <p></p><i></i>
i have also ordered a copy. the political aspect of the game is what sounds interesting - it's impossible to have a historically accurate rts game that is also comparable in gameplay to a game that is not limited by history or reality. eg. praetorians is a joke of a game compared to warcraft III in terms of the quality of the actual game. but im eager to play pax romana, and if the political side of the game is as good as it sounds, the rts aspects dont have to b outstanding for it to b fun. we will see <p></p><i></i>
So what is the verdict? <p>Strategy <br>
Designer/Developer <br>
Regards,

Michael A./MicaByte
Here are 2 opinions that sum it up:<br>
<br>
First IMO =<br>
There are some positive aspects here, the election process for instance, but the negatives are too annoying at this point and drive you to distraction.. The cause of all this is a game engine that tries to do too much - through a haphazard organization/interface - with quite a few bugs.<br>
<br>
There are too many icons on EVERY screen to be able to absorb all the data presented. Everything is an icon - and they are ALL over the place<br>
<br>
The interface is "kludgie" - there is no commonality to many of the actions - from bribing a senator, to building a fleet or army, to declaring war, to creating a trade route. All of these interfaces look totally different. How did the designer intend for anyone to PLAY this game??<br>
<br>
Finally, the economic and diplomatic models are seriously bugged / ill thought out – these 2 sub par areas really hurt the game overall.â€ÂÂ
Thanks Barkhorn1x, after that I will not buy the game for sure!<br>
BTW do you know The Operational Art of War, a Century of War? it is a modern warfare wargame, but I am toying with the idea of modding it to support XIX century games (In fact the game is suppose to support XIX century scenarios, but it needs a major rework to do it properly) <p></p><i></i>
this is a miserable game. there r so many problems with it that i cant even keep them all straight in my head while im typing this. 1st of all, the booklet that comes with the game does so poor a job of explaining this incredibly complex piece of crap that i cant understand how the people that made this game and wrote the booklet do this for a living. if everyone was so bad at their job this world would b a mess. it almost seems like a bunch of random things r going on, thats how little i understand whats going on in the game at times. also, everything has to b done so fast b/c its 'real time', but also certain things in the game have time limits. eg, you go into the senate and put together an agenda or some such thing - different laws you want to pass or motions you want to make. but you have like 4 mins to do it - not nearly enough time. you can also speed up the clock, you can go so fast as to make 1 minute in real time b 8 months in the game's time. but when u do that, all these events happen, and when they do, a screen pops up to tell u what has happened. they happen so fast that its just screen after screen after screen explaining the events, and not only can u not read them, b/c while u do YEARS r going by in the game, but u cant even close the screen fast enough to stop them from coming - all the snreen just pile up. and as long as they r up, u cant slow the clock back down! then, at other times, u r just sitting there doing nothing. and i dont mean for a minute or 2. eg, to start the game, u assign the senators under your control to the offices u want them to run for. when u begin, its the month of may. every 5 mins in real time is a month in the games time. the next time n e thing happens is on january 1st. that is a long time to sit there. 35 mins to b exact. u can speed the clock up, but if it hits january 1st b4 u slow it back down, thats it, u basically have to start over, b/c as soon as u r done looking at the election results, the screens start popping up telling u whats going on around the empire, and there r too many things going on for u to slow the clock back down. hahaha what an aweful game.<br>
<br>
well, n e way, im still trying to play it - maybe itll grow on me. i wanna like it really badly, so hopefully that will happen. more likely, i will have a rather exspensive paper weight. n e way, dont buy the game, its about as bad as a game could b, it would b tough for me to make a worse one if that was my aim. its only plus is its roman. if it didnt have that, i would b laughing too hard at how bad it is to b typing this. <p></p><i></i>
<strong>if everyone was so bad at their job this world would b a mess.</strong><br>
<br>
Well, the world is a mess, isn't it?<br>
<br>
<strong>also, everything has to b done so fast b/c its 'real time'</strong><br>
<br>
I understand this can be modded so that you have more time. Check the Antikgames forums.<br>
<br>
However, it does unfortunately seem that the game has serious issues. I still plan to get it however (always good with a little inspiration). <p>Strategy <br>
Designer/Developer <br>
Imperium - Rise of Rome</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=strategym>StrategyM</A> at: 11/21/03 12:57 pm<br></i>
Regards,

Michael A./MicaByte
Well, another fine review, I will definitively skip that game and rather wait for Imperium<br>
BTW, in my previous post I meant XIX century and earlier periods, included Ancient time <p></p><i></i>
well, as funny as this sounds after re reading my last post, ive been playing pax romana alot, trying to figure it out - (b/c the booklet does a TERRIBLE job of explaining how the game is played) - and now that i have played it a good bit, it is pretty fun. it has some definate flaws, but its still a fun game. it took me a while to understand what was going on, and how to do all the of things that the booklet says u can do, but once i did, i had a good time. i still have a bit to figure out, but im glad i got it. if n e one else gets its, perhaps a multiplayer game could b set up - i think this game will b at its best in multiplayer, when conscious ppl r all playing. <p></p><i></i>
TheGr8tCenturion, I mean this as an honest question and no sarcasm is intended.<br>
<br>
Several times you wrote "n e thing", "n e way", and "n e one", yet each of those takes more characters to type than "anything", "anyway", and "anyone".<br>
<br>
Why not just type the actual word, which is shorter in these cases? <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=scipio@romanarmytalk>Scipio</A> at: 11/30/03 4:04 am<br></i>
Could be a long wait for Imperium (unless you sign up as a beta-tester, which isn't very fun). <p>Strategy <br>
Designer/Developer <br>
Regards,

Michael A./MicaByte