Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hannibal poll
The biggest and most important question of ancient military history: where did Hannibal cross the Alps?
[Image: alps.jpg]
(My personal opinion, based on Peter Connolly, can be read here, but give your own opinion first.)
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:The biggest and most important question of ancient military history: where did Hannibal cross the Alps?

What? Only the most important one? Que insignificante...

Have you not heard about the rival Greek school which argues that Hannibal's crossing was but a child's feat compared to Alexander's UNBELIEVABLY DARING AND EXPERT AND SUPERSEXY crossing of the Hindukush? Big Grin wink:
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Quote:What? Only the most important one? Que insignificante...

Yes of course! Compared to the utter insignificance of the question, the amount of ink that has been spilled about it makes this a question of peerless importance. :wink: Not even the nature of Alexander's relation to Hephaestion, an equally unimportant subject, has led to so many publications.
Jona Lendering
My website
Ok. I will take a different approach: Is there a definite answer, now or in the future, anyway possible? Or do we have forever to speculate or resolve the question by voting?
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
The only way to solve the problem, I think, will be archaeology. But I suppose that weapons etc. that were left behind must have been washed away by melting snow. It think that Connolly's approach is the best we have.
Jona Lendering
My website