Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colosseum: Road to Freedom (PS2)
I saw the post about Shadow of Rome (PS2) but was wondering if anyone has played this title. I think Colosseum is a pretty fun game. Although abit short, the battles can be pretty challenging. To complete the game, you have to earn enough money to buy your freedom. There are 4 different styles your character to master: Sword style (sword and small circular shield), Shield style (weapon of choice plus medium or large shield), 2 Handed style (weapon in each hand) and Striker style (no weapons.) You build stats by training in between fights and assigning points however you choose. Stealing gear from fallen enemies is a way to upgrade gear or you may buy from the store (which is rather expensive.)

There are a number of types of battles you can engage in the arena.

Team Battle (3 vs 3)
Battle Royal (All vs All)
Survival (You vs All)
Hunting (Team vs Animals) - don't laugh, Tigers are pretty tough!!!
Duel (vs Boss)
Mock Battle (Battle Recreation)

You get graded by the crowd so the more entertaining you are the more money you make. If you kill quickly, you don't earn much. Kill with combos and dodge alot and you'll hear the crowd roar with excitement.

I probably missed more details but you can check it out at
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/colosse ... index.html

The screens are too large to post, so here is a link to some screens.
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/colosse ... tml?page=1

Check it out! It's well worth it IMHO
It "looks" good but should we believe the 6.0 review?
Anabasis

A.K.A. Michael the Thinker/Tinkerer

"Those who do not choose to see past the veil of lies
and accept the truth of the realities around them are doomed to
suffer for all time" -Michael
We can belive the review just for this fact:

Quote:The Good: Hundreds of items so you can customize your gladiator; story changes depending on your performance ; multiple types of battles add a little variety.
The Bad: Button-mashing battle system gets old quickly; frame rate drops significantly in larger battles; artificial intelligence is laughable; no targeting system makes it difficult to direct your attacks.

It looks very cool, but for the reason of bad things, its obious that you would get bored of the game.
===============================================

In fact this game circus Maximus is rated 6.2 fair, but I had fun with it, in special when you play two players.

http://www.gamespot.com/search.html?qs= ... 11&type=11

Also the RPG game Gladius its scored 8.4 great!... but its a fantasy game.
gladiator: Sword of Vengeance I have my fun & my frustrations, but i love the music of the game & it make you feel out of these world.

God of War its a must have, its based on mythological stuff, but well watch its. the Spartan Kratos, was fighting a decisive battle against the barbarians, he was near to lose the battle & his life, he beg Ares for his life, ares come down & make a pact, but Ares, play dirty with his servant Kratos,7 then Kratos decided to kill the god of War, with some help of the other gods that hate Ares, if he win, he would become the God of War... Part two is near. :wink:

Now thext game its not roman but desrve it attention, i will post a separated thread for it.

you can use meely, sappers, cavalry, archers at the same time... well hope this help.

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Well being a Romanophile, it should satiate an appetite for some entertaining gaming on the subject. To regular gamers who don't like the subject, I believe they would get bored easily. I didn't believe the numbers myself and went and bought the game and played it for quite sometime. But I didn't get flustered about the targeting system or "button-mashing system" (isn't that what hack and slashers are anyway?), that to me was part of the challenge. The AI was also pretty tough, especially for boss duels although I have no similar "gladiator" type game AI to compare Colosseum's AI.

Final verdict? Pick it up and at it to your collection of games on this time period. It's a nice game to get back into once in awhile. Try to get your friends to get the game and build a character too and battle it out. I'm pretty sure you can rent it if you're still unsure whether to buy it or not. This game should be pretty cheap now since it wasn't that popular and it's been released for quite some time.
Well i hve thisone too, even though its rate 6.3 fair I like it. it get more & more dificult on later levels Smile //www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/gladiatorsofrome/index.html?q=the%20gladiators%20of%20rome:nfy1trfo][size=150:nfy1trfo]Gladiators of rome[/size][/url]

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick.