Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scipio and the IV century greek art of war
Cicero (in a letter to brother Quintus and in Tuscolanae Disputationes) says that the Africanus take always with him the Xenophon's Cyropedia. Actually the Scipio tactics have little in common with that one hellenistic or these of Hannibal's: the cavalry continue to have a secondary role respect the infantry, the infantry are much more active and manoeuvrable.
On the contrary reflect inspiration from much manoeuvers from Cyropedia and battle descriptions of IV century bc the climax period of greek infantry tactics (i dont think to tebans but at the spartans army manoveurs, described by Xenophon).

PS: And if on view better the episode of iberian princess given back to lovers happen two times in the Cyropedia with the same result.

This is only a hint for a discussion (i'm writing an article on this argument for a review and all ideas are welcomed).
"Each historical fact needs to be considered, insofar as possible, no with hindsight and following abstract universal principles, but in the context of own proper age and environment" Aldo A. Settia

a.k.a Davide Dall\'Angelo

SISMA- Società Italiana per gli Studi Militari Antichi
Can you summarize for those of us who haven't read it, what is in the Cryopedia? I wonder if maybe there is some useful political advice in there other than what to do with your phalanx etc. Tactics change, but human nature does not. Ancient literature is most valueable as it applies to human nature. I imagine this was recognized in Scipio's day as well as our own.

Generals need to win their battles it is true, but they must also pacify conquered regions. That requires knowledge about how people think.
Rich Marinaccio
The Cyropedia or Education of Cyrus are a Xenophon book with a semihistorical reconstruction of Cyrus's life. The entire book have a educative aim, where the idealized life of first persian king are used by Xenophon to introduce own political and military ideas (with a strong spartan influence on this latter).In particulary the finctional battles and manoeuvres are descripted with precision. At example we have strong resemblances to the Becula and the Cyrus attack to the Chaldean's hill.
"Each historical fact needs to be considered, insofar as possible, no with hindsight and following abstract universal principles, but in the context of own proper age and environment" Aldo A. Settia

Another input for this argument:

For the Umanistic and Reinassance authors that the Scipio's model been the literary Cyrus are evident.
Mchiavelli affirm this on the 14 chapter of the "Il principe", but also Bartolomeo Sacchi "Il Platina" in the "De principe" affirm this