Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
greek language in napoli
Hi! I know that Napoli was greek spoken city in the beginning of the roman empire, but when the latin (or the romance) substitute the greek? Was it in the early byzantine period (VI-VIII century)?
Yes Napoli was a greek city but the campanian hinterland was oscan (italic people with affinity with the latins). High class can have used greek also in byzantine era but the people can to be been latinized from the imperial era or from the social war time for effect of immigration from the campaigns or soldiers's colonies influence at the time of civil war (Silla's soldiers have they colonies near Napoli).
"Each historical fact needs to be considered, insofar as possible, no with hindsight and following abstract universal principles, but in the context of own proper age and environment" Aldo A. Settia

a.k.a Davide Dall\'Angelo

SISMA- Società Italiana per gli Studi Militari Antichi
I heard from a friend of mine who is from Naples that the locals still have several Greek words in their dialect nowadays.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote:I heard from a friend of mine who is from Naples that the locals still have several Greek words in their dialect nowadays.

Sure, is normal a language dont disappear without traces.In South Italy existed also little pockets of greek and albanian language , but are of medieval origin after Costantinople fall.
"Each historical fact needs to be considered, insofar as possible, no with hindsight and following abstract universal principles, but in the context of own proper age and environment" Aldo A. Settia

a.k.a Davide Dall\'Angelo

SISMA- Società Italiana per gli Studi Militari Antichi
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=10522
You might find the links that iposte on this thread useful.
Kind regards

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ancient Greek - The language Timotheus 12 2,882 05-29-2008, 08:53 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr
  Greek Language hoplite14gr 22 6,928 03-07-2008, 09:23 AM
  Greek Language DanM 4 1,612 06-16-2007, 06:00 PM