Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sulla\'s Legions?
Could someone help me find the names & numbers of the legions that marched with Sulla (Felix) in either Greece or during the Civil Wars?

Thanks.
Adam Carr
Hi Adam,
Welcome to the forum!
As to Sulla's legions. I suspect they had no names, since those seem to only have come into use from Caesar and Octavian's era onward.
Can't help you - off the top of my head - with numbers.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Indeed, republican legions had numbers as early as the second Punic War and probably earlier. However at this time the legions were reconstituted at the beginning of each new campaigning season, at which time they would undoubtably be renumbered as well.
After the Social War legions remained in existance for several years, but were still regularly disbanded.
During the Civail War Caesar continually raised new legions rather then keeping the existing ones up to strength. After his victory his old legions were disbanded.
After his death, when the Civil War broke out all over again, the old Caesarian legion were reconstituded from recalled veterans, because there was political advantage in it. This is the reason that numbers became duplicated as each party would have wanted to have a Tenth Legion.
After the final victory Augustus merged Antony's army with his own, keeping the existing names and numbers and thereby consolidating the change to permanent legions.

The longest existing units were the Valerii. The marched to the East in '86 with Sulla. About 75 they were disbanded and immediately reformed to fight in the army of Lucullus. The almost mutinied in 68/67 and obtained discharge by a degree passed at Rome. On Pompey's arrival in the East some reenlisted however, to be finally brought home in 62.

source: Lawrence Keppie, The making of the Roman Army, From Republic to Empire (London 1984) pp. 76-77 & passim.
drsrob a.k.a. Rob Wolters

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sulla and Chaeronea Q Rutilius 3 1,311 12-12-2011, 09:33 PM
Last Post: Q Rutilius
  Sulla S SEVERUS 8 2,552 02-06-2007, 04:28 AM
Last Post: sulla felix