Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org
(And no, I couldn't, puzzled over it for a while!)

After a few lazy days, I've just put up a collection of stuff on Portus Itius, Caesar's port of departure on his second expedition to Britain: a summary article from the Encyclopedia Britannica, and eight journal articles debating the identification of the place with Boulogne or Wissant. The start of the exchange was Holmes's Ancient Britain and the Invasions of Julius Caesar and Haverfield's critique in 1909; then the two have at it.

(In scouring the Web as part of the little project, I noticed that Wickedpedia bless 'em had cribbed the same Britannica article, eviscerated it, and made the topographical problem vanish.... I ought to hire them to do my finances. I also noticed that the only identification of Itius Portus made on this board, as far as I could tell, was with Wissant rather than the older favorite Boulogne. FWIW, I too side with Wissant.)

Finally, for them that have an interest in pregnant cows, the slaughter of them and the burning of their unborn calves, but don't read French: the articlet Fordicidia from Daremberg/Saglio, in my own English translation.

Messages In This Thread
Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - by Ross Cowan - 07-04-2007, 03:14 PM
Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - by Ross Cowan - 07-25-2007, 03:54 PM
(Digital Ritterling again) - by D B Campbell - 08-17-2007, 09:42 AM
T. Rice Holmes - by Paullus Scipio - 10-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - by Bill Thayer - 10-08-2007, 04:41 PM
Lacus Curtius - by Paullus Scipio - 12-02-2007, 01:43 AM
Lacus Curtius - by Paullus Scipio - 12-02-2007, 09:15 PM