Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org
Jona's been out of town, should be coming back today; so no new stuff from him. On the other hand I've been nowhere, so here's the new stuff on Lacus since the garlands mentioned in his last posting — or at least the stuff most relevant to this board, since I've put up about 150 pages in this time: many of them a long laundry list of ancient Greek religious festivals.

Ammian, Book 31 (English): covering the battle of Adrianople. Ammian is now complete onsite; but the Latin, which you might remember I rescued from elsewhere, needs to be corrected (passages in Greek for example are gobbledygook onscreen) and annotated, then the Latin and English cross-linked before we can consider Ammian finished-finished.

"Caesar's Camp on the Aisne": an item from the Classical Journal (1941) available to those with access to JSTOR but not to the rest of us until now on my site; a sort of cat-scan section of the endless debate on the siting of the camp and battle mentioned by Caesar in B.G. II.8. Such articles are unsatisfying unless a group of them are put up, and I'm scouring around for others; but there's a map and I was also able to pinpoint the place on a satellite-view GoogleMap, in which despite the massive dislocations in the two 20c wars (each of which saw battles in the immediate area) one can still make out traces of ancient structures.

The Cynegetica of Nemesianus: one more Cynegeticon to join Grattian's already onsite. I intend eventually to put up at least Oppian's, and maybe Xenophon's. (Cynegetica are books on hunting and the breeding and care of Dogs and horses.)

The Eucharisticon of Paulinus of Pella. This obscure work is of great interest to students of Late Antiquity, since it's an autobiography describing in a fairly straightforward manner 80 years of life in the 4th and 5th centuries, mostly in Gaul, with all its dislocations (including a section on the siege of Bazas). It is made the more interesting, to me at least, by being the life of a very average man. Although the aim of the poem is Christian, to see in such a life the operation of the grace of God and give thanks for it, the religious component doesn't get in the way of telling his story. A recommended read; and very interesting to compare with the Letters of Synesius on Jona's site, even if Synesius was a much more intelligent man.

Of less interest, maybe, continuing to catch up on Strabo (Books 8-9) (in English). For a long time I had those Books only that Perseus did not, my idea being to ensure that all of him was online somewhere. But it's really better to have one-stop shopping, so I intend to have a complete Strabo of my own, even if the urgency is not there.

Finally, not Roman at all, but of military interest, Voci della Memoria, a very good and moving little book, in Italian, commemorating the lives of 70 people lost to a stray British bomb in a small town in central Italy in 1944. I lived in Umbertide for three months, less than 100 meters from the place where the bomb fell, so this was a must on my site: where it appears by special permission of the Town Government who owns the copyright.

Messages In This Thread
Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - by Ross Cowan - 07-04-2007, 03:14 PM
Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - by Ross Cowan - 07-25-2007, 03:54 PM
(Digital Ritterling again) - by D B Campbell - 08-17-2007, 09:42 AM
Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - by Bill Thayer - 09-24-2007, 11:01 AM
T. Rice Holmes - by Paullus Scipio - 10-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Lacus Curtius - by Paullus Scipio - 12-02-2007, 01:43 AM
Lacus Curtius - by Paullus Scipio - 12-02-2007, 09:15 PM