Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org
Voilà, a complete text from Antiquity, not available online yet: Synesius' Egyptian Tale, or, On Providence.

Actually it is strange that I am the first one to prepare an online edition, because the Egyptian Tale is a nice text. It creatively recycles the myth of Osiris and Seth (called Typho by the Greeks) to describe the courts struggles in Constantinople during the reign of Arcadius - in 400, to be more precise. The noble "Osiris" (= the praetorian prefect Aurelian) becomes ruler in "Egypt" (= the eastern half of the Roman Empire), but loses power in "Thebes" (=Constantinople) to "Typho" (Caesarius or Eutychianus), who use the "Scythians" (=the Germanic troops commanded by Gaitas).

The Scythians are uncomfortable in the city and decide to build their camp outside the walls. That they bring their wives and possessions out of town, is explained as a prelude to the sack of the city; a revolt begins, which is the beginning of the end for Typho, and the prelude to Osiris' glorious return.

The description of the insurrection and the chaos during the street fights is very lively, but the text is also interesting as a jeu d' ésprit by an entertaining writer. Personally, I did not like the philosophical prologue and afterthoughts, and the philosophical speech by Osiris' father. Still, the text is nice.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website

Messages In This Thread
Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - by Jona Lendering - 06-23-2007, 05:56 PM
Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - by Ross Cowan - 07-04-2007, 03:14 PM
Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - by Ross Cowan - 07-25-2007, 03:54 PM
(Digital Ritterling again) - by D B Campbell - 08-17-2007, 09:42 AM
T. Rice Holmes - by Paullus Scipio - 10-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Lacus Curtius - by Paullus Scipio - 12-02-2007, 01:43 AM
Lacus Curtius - by Paullus Scipio - 12-02-2007, 09:15 PM