Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org
Here are some photos of the mosaics from Dar Buc Ammera villa, now on display in the Archaeological Museum of Tripoli. They include the gladiator mosaic.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Bill has put online the full text (Latin + English) of Grattian's Cynegeticon, a short didactic poem on hunting from the age of Augustus.
Jona Lendering
My website
Bill has put online a piece on the Curia Hostilia in Rome.
Jona Lendering
My website
After Bill had put online Dio's In praise of hair, retaliation was inevitable: here is Synesius' In Praise of Baldness, an amusing and subtle piece of sophistry. And here is a piece on the development of the title of imperator.

Meanhile, Bill continues the translation of the Attic Nights with books IX, X, XI, XII, and XIII.

And because it is almost Nicholas of Myra's saint's day, here is an earlier piece on the holy man.
Jona Lendering
My website
Bill has put online some stuff on ancient Carsioli.
Jona Lendering
My website
I have put online this piece on the pontes longi. Not terribly important.
Jona Lendering
My website
Wow! Bill has put online Sallust's Conspiracy of Catiline, in both Latin and English. Enjoy!
Jona Lendering
My website
I was surprised to see that there was no online edition of the Xanten victory monument. But now it's there. Bill has put online a piece on the laws regulating the death penalty more maiorum.
Jona Lendering
My website
Bill has put online a review of S.B. Platner's Topographical Dictionary of Ancient Rome by the great Tenney Frank, a nice piece from 1929. Also available now: an article on the meaning of the word Grabovius, which I have not yet read.
Jona Lendering
My website
I finally put online an article that I wanted to do when we discussed the fate of the Jerusalem Temple treasure: a piece on the Menorah. I am quite happy with the large photo of the Menorah on the arch of Titus, which shows details I have not seen on any other online representation.
Jona Lendering
My website
OK folks, here's one of the most famous texts from the history of the ancient Near East, the Cyrus Cylinder. The version on my site contains the text as it was known in 2001 and a translation, plus a brief intro, in which I explain that there are fraudulent versions available, made by Iranian refugees.

These frauds have already caused me a lot of trouble. Imagine correcting a wiki page, and being accused of vandalizing because "everyone knows that the CC is the world's first human rights charter", which it is not: it is quite unpleasant when well-meaning people, misled by propaganda, accuse me of propaganda that was coined by the late Shah.

So, if anybody who has a website wants to do something for me: please link to my page, and make sure this page, which was made to counter the propaganda, has better google ratings than the propaganda pages. Thanks.
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:So, if anybody who has a website wants to do something for me: please link to my page, and make sure this page, which was made to counter the propaganda, has better google ratings than the propaganda pages. Thanks.

But sure: I can create a link to your page here and now: The Cyrus Cylinder: the complete text translated.

Thanks for that Jona, indeed it seems strange that such a correct translation has not been put online any sooner.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:But sure: I can create a link to your page here and now: The Cyrus Cylinder: the complete text translated
Smile wink: :wink:
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote: If anyone knows how to make a google bomb... :wink: :wink:

Naughty naughty. Why not hack those Pahlavian websites and supply the link there? :twisted:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Why not hack those Pahlavian websites and supply the link there? :twisted:
If that were just possible... Yesterday I was saluted in my e-mail as suffering from Down's Syndrome because I don't know sh-t about Persian history. It would be amusing if the truth were not so sad - that many Iranian refugees are misled by the shah's propaganda and that they have fallen in love with an image of their country that does not correspond to reality.

Meanwhile, leaving politics aside and returning to business: Bill has put online two small pieces on ancient torches and ceramics.

And I continue my series of brief pieces that had to be written but are not extremely interesting with some photos of the Segovia Aqueduct, and a "guide for the perplexed" who want to know the difference between Dutch, Netherlands, and Holland: go here. This has, of course, nothing to do with ancient history.
Jona Lendering
My website