Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org
And another Discourse of Dio's: #10, "On Servants"; two not entirely unrelated truisms, quickly dealt with: servants are a nuisance, and God is dangerous.

B
Some time ago, I started a blog, believing it was possible to make new items at LacusCurtius or Livius.Org visible through RSS or on our own RAT newsbot. Since two weeks, it is no longer working. Which is a pity, because many recent items were of special interest to RATs.

Here are the links:
Alexander the Great in the Punjab. A Photo Essay.
Military dust (an essay on dust during battles)
Augustus' Trophee at La Turbie
Morituri te salutant (the famous debunking)
An Early Dedication to Heliogabalus[url]

And several battles by Caesar, direct links to the photo pages:
[url=http://www.livius.org/se-sg/selle/sabis.html:1tatv2el]Sabis

Huy
Alesia
Zela

And Bill is preparing something that you will all like very, very much.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Some time ago, I started a blog, believing it was possible to make new items at LacusCurtius or Livius.Org visible through RSS or on our own RAT newsbot. Since two weeks, it is no longer working. Which is a pity, because many recent items were of special interest to RATs.

Here are the links:
Alexander the Great in the Punjab. A Photo Essay.
Military dust (an essay on dust during battles)
Augustus' Trophee at La Turbie
Morituri te salutant (the famous debunking)
An Early Dedication to Heliogabalus

And several battles by Caesar, direct links to the photo pages:
Sabis
Huy
Alesia
Zela

And Bill is preparing something that you will all like very, very much.
Jona Lendering
My website
Yes, indeedy: the Rhetorica ad Herennium, Guardabassi's Monumenti dell' Umbria, and the church of S. Maria di Pietrarossa are all coming up....

B
Here's my little blog article on Harran a.k.a. Carrhae. The main article is here, with photos and a very brief article on the Battle of Carrhae.
Jona Lendering
My website
The Newsbot still has troubles catching up what's on our blog, which is a pity because it used to work and, ahem, the blog was meant to make the Newsfeet run automatically. Anyhow, here's a summary of what's new.

The Bosphorus (a small part of some 30 pages on Constantinople that are now almost finished; history, photos); the Notitia Urbis Constantinopolitanae, Latin text of a fifth-century description of guess what, and a review of the Istanbul Archaeological Museum.

Choara (where Darius III was killed); the naval battle of Artemisium; the battle of Chaeronea; the battle of Cynoscephalae; Halicarnassus; Harran and a quick note on the battle of Carrhae; the legendary city/hill of Nysa; the Altar of the Philaeni; the ruins of Segesta.

The Nubian Pharaohs, an article that already provoked a lot of nonsensical mail to my address - afrocentrism has an unpleasant side.

Daniel 11 and the Syrian Wars: an article that speaks for itself.

A review of the Museums on the Teutoburg Forest Musea (i.e., Kalkriese and Haltern), a review of three books on Achaemenid History, and 500 ancient sites on Google Earth (in Dutch, but place names are recognizable).

A LOT of texts by Plutarch:
* On keeping well
* On superstition
* On having many friends
* On virtue and vice
* On Fortune
* Advice to Bride and Groom
* Consolation to his Wife
* On listening to lectures
* Can virtue be taught?
* The education of children

PLUS:
* Suetonius' On Grammarians
* Suetonius' On Rhetoricians
* Ps.-Cicero's Rhetorica ad Herennium

And finally an article on The Image of Moloch. I left out some small stuff, for which you can check our blog.
Jona Lendering
My website
Apparently, the Newsbot was shocked about my remarks, as it now has caught up again; which makes the message above some sort of double-posting.
Jona Lendering
My website
As long as the Newsbot ain't working, I use this old thread. During our blackout, Bill has put online E.R. Bevan's book The House of Ptolemy. It is a bit old, and the author did not have access to as many papyri as we have, but the main outline of Ptolemaic history did not really change. Bill's own comments are here.

I put online my photos of the Granicus and the town of Issus. It links to an old article on the battle, which I am right now expanding. Finally, I put online a review of D.L. Lewis' recent book God's Crucible, which describes the end of Antiquity and the origins of western culture.

Finally, American history fans can check Bill's second site here.
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:Finally, I put online a review of D.L. Lewis' recent book God's Crucible, which describes the end of Antiquity and the origins of western culture.

Quote:On one point, Lewis appears to have believed modern-day propaganda by Iranian royalists and I would not be surprised if some of the information on p.6 was taken from the Wikipedia.

Crazy, isnt it?
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Quote:
Jona Lendering:1hnat9y1 Wrote:Finally, I put online a review of D.L. Lewis' recent book God's Crucible, which describes the end of Antiquity and the origins of western culture.

Quote:On one point, Lewis appears to have believed modern-day propaganda by Iranian royalists and I would not be surprised if some of the information on p.6 was taken from the Wikipedia.

Crazy, isnt it?
Many Wiki-articles are fine, but I would not use the pages on ancient Persia, which have been hijacked by political activists who think that everyone who does not share the propaganda of the late Shah (with Cyrus the Great as illuminated ruler et cetera) is a racist - I am not making this up, there's right now a petition against me which calls me a racist for precisely the above-mentioned reason.
Jona Lendering
My website
A nice addition, if I may say so myself: the Garamantes. There will be more about their rock paintings soon, which are more interesting than their lifestyle and wars against Rome.

Also available: new photos on the the pages on Maastricht, Tongeren, Kalkriese, and the Chaussée Brunehaut.

Bill's occupied with his collection of Americana (cf. this blog), but he has in the meantime also put Tacitus' Annals online.
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:Many Wiki-articles are fine, but I would not use the pages on ancient Persia, which have been hijacked by political activists who think that everyone who does not share the propaganda of the late Shah (with Cyrus the Great as illuminated ruler et cetera) is a racist - I am not making this up, there's right now a petition against me which calls me a racist for precisely the above-mentioned reason.

I saw this petition and I actually laughed out loud! Of all the historians out there, you're one of the last I'd consider to be an anti-Persian racist.
I wonder if these people ever read your web page on the Battle of Gaugamela, or your pieces on 300 or Oliver Stone's Alexander.