Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latin Translation Help...
This was difficult to place (into the forums) as none of them seemed to fit right. I contemplated here or the Civ Talk forum but opted for this instead. Anyhow, I'm in need of translating a simple phrase. If someone knows of a good site that goes to a dictionary or phrase translator please do let me know because I spent a good hour trying to get this phrase right:

"Honor, Courage, Strength"

The problem is, when I found what seemed to work, I'd punch it into another translator online and it would give me a completely different translation. :\\

I've used this phrase for a good many years, and it's very similar to "Honor, Courage, Commitment" of the Marine Corps. I figured this always to be more appropriate. Anywho... if someone can help me out I would appreciate it. I plan to add it to my signature.
"It is the brave man\'s part to live with glory, or with glory die."
- Nomen: (T.J. Young)
Quote:"Honor, Courage, Strength" ... if someone can help me out I would appreciate it. I plan to add it to my signature.
Those three nouns translate as decus, virtus, vis. Problem solved, T.J.! Big Grin

Latin also has the word honos for honour as a kind of "respect", but I'm guessing you mean honour as "glory", which is better translated as decus.

Similarly, for "strength", Latin has fortitudo meaning "firmness" (like our fortitude) and robor meaning "robustness" (like an oak tree, which is the same word), but I'm guessing you mean more of a violent, forceful strength, which is best translated vis.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Latin phrase translation Anonymous 8 3,668 04-28-2002, 01:15 PM
Last Post: richsc