Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestions for readings at a wedding reception/campout?
My fiance and I are having our wedding at a location out in the country which will allow us to have a reception/campout/party after the ceremony.

In the spirit of a festival like atmosphere, I was thinking of reading some snippets from ancient literature in between the music. I've been trying to think of some more humorous examples that deal with couples.

I've come up with Lysistrata and the Golden Ass so far. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

(In essence, I guess I'm looking for ancient bawdy tales appropriate for the camp fire.)

Luc. Ambr. Ianuarianus
aka. John L.
John Lucas
Luc. Ambr. Ianuarianus
Petronius. Big Grin
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Advice to a recently married couple by Plutarch. A rather old-fashioned text (woman must behave properly, etc.) but it also contains some serious gems, like the advice to eat an apple before the first kiss, because the first kiss must be sweet.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
You may be ablke to find little amusing snippets in the Deipnosophists, if you're willing to wade through the endless discussions on food etymology. I particularly liked the phrase "Fortunate are you, to smell good so expensively!" used with a heavily perfumed gentleman.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach