Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fectio/Fort Vechten - Open Monuments Weekend 2006
9 and 10 september:
A multi-period event at Fort Vechten ( http://www.fortvechten.nl/ ), east of Utrecht, The Netherlands. Together with another 200+ re-enactors we will be present with several Roman re-enactment groups:
Leg. X Gemina (NL), the Minervii (D), the Teuxandrii (NL) and of course Fectio (NL).
Check here how to reach Fort Vechten and the Roman tower: http://www.fectio.org.uk/fectiomap.jpg
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Date?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Oops. Confusedhock: Added.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Yes, we will also be there. Big Grin
Our first event together with I and II WW Reenactors.
Patrick Stritter
Publius Militiares sine Cognomen
Legio Comitatenses Minervii

I\'\'ve seen things you people wouldn\'\'t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams ... glitter in the dark near Tanhauser Gate. All those ... moments will be lost ... in time, like tears ... in rain. Roy Batty
Patrick,

Pfew! Robert and I were wondering if you guys had received our emails concerning the event...I just heard from Robert that you had some trouble with the email?

I'll just send the old messages another time to your and the general Minervii address. I will send some additional info that just came in this morning a bit later.

Robert and I will arrive saturday sometime between 9.00 and 9.30 ourselves. Garrelt & his will be there on sunday. Assuming Maarten Dolmans is there as well, it's going to be a very late Romanish affair... :wink:
Andreas Baede
Yes i had trouble with my mail, but i managed to phone the Fort warden and everything is now on its way. Thank you for repeating your mails, now i have all information i need.
We are really looking forward to see you guys tomorrow.
Patrick Stritter
Publius Militiares sine Cognomen
Legio Comitatenses Minervii

I\'\'ve seen things you people wouldn\'\'t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams ... glitter in the dark near Tanhauser Gate. All those ... moments will be lost ... in time, like tears ... in rain. Roy Batty
Sweet! Big Grin

Robert and I will be there saturday morning, though, not friday evening.
So, till saturday!
Have fun in the meantime! Tongue

Weather forecast is lookin' good. Sunny, not too warm, a bit chilly in the morning. Good re-enactment weather!
Andreas Baede
I made disappointingly few pictures this time, I assume more will follow from Robert, the Minervii and perhaps Gemina and the Teuxandrii.

[Image: Monumentenweekeinde5.jpg]

Morning idyll at the Empire's border in Germania II: the encampment of the Minervii and the Teuxandrii (the tents behind).
The, ahem, somewhat anachronistic empty crates in the middle are what's left of the soldiers' frenzied, undisciplined and sickeningly wholesome consumption of milk and buttermilk... :oops:

[Image: Monumentenweekeinde6.jpg]

A barbarous breakfast: the sizzling sausages of the Teuxandrian toughs...

[Image: Monumentenweekeinde4.jpg]

Tiberius Gabinius dancing (don't be fooled by the smiling boyish countenance. Behind it beats the heart of a ruthless, sadistic genocidal imperialist. In other words, a good Roman soldier... :wink: ), Valerius looking a bit troubled (I warned him against eating that sausage, but did he listen? No, of course not...Cursed are the stiff necks of Chamavian Franks! Sad D .
Andreas Baede
wow cool, any pictures of the inside of the tower? or plans diagrams etc?
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
I wish I were there... :wink: I still remember everybody eating different kinda 'peperoni' at Archeon in the last eve... [Image: melancholy.gif]
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Quote:wow cool, any pictures of the inside of the tower? or plans diagrams etc?
I wrote a little piece on Fectio here. If you scroll down a bit, you will find a photo of the interior of a tower that is almost identical to the Fectio replica. Cf. the tower at Rainau, go here and again scroll down a bit.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
A little choice of pictures also to see here
http://erste-legion.de/bilder/2006/bild ... ederlande/

I ll send my pictures as soon as possible to you and the Gemina (and of course to the minervii).

Thank you for the compliments, you choose the "best" picture you could get, didnt you? Big Grin
If i had a fish in the hands it would look a bit like Monthy ...

It was a very great weekend, i'm glad i was able to participate.
Now where i now that first centuries are allowed and welcome i will try to get more Flavii to there next year as well Smile
Good communications with the other groups, the orga and the own guys, sun, strange food .... really relaxed!
Thanks to Fort Fechten, the Gemina and Fectio for this Smile
real Name Tobias Gabrys

Flavii <a class="postlink" href="http://www.flavii.de">www.flavii.de
& Hetairoi <a class="postlink" href="http://www.hetairoi.de">www.hetairoi.de
Hi guys,

Yes, that was a very fine weekend, lovely weather and very good company!
Worried? Me? Over a sausage? Sure - look at the effect it had on poor Tiberius Gabinius!! Big Grin He's doing the fish-slapping dance without fish!
I did not eat one, remember - I was on guard duty from 9.30 to 11! :evil:

Quote:I assume more will follow from Robert
Sure, after I have finished polishing all the rust from our equipment!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:I was on guard duty from 9.30 to 11! :evil:

Now, now, you were the duly appointed "Group Commander" for all the Romans - with great power comes great responsibility! :lol:

Quote:Sure, after I have finished polishing all the rust from our equipment!

Ah yes, but think, Valerius! Just a couple of years and Bran is old enough to do all the polishing for you...as well as haul wood, cook breakfast, dinner, feed and groom the horses... :roll:
Andreas Baede
Quote:Ah yes, but think, Valerius! Just a couple of years and Bran is old enough to do all the polishing for you...as well as haul wood, cook breakfast, dinner, feed and groom the horses... :roll:

One can but hope...
Btw, we've Romanised our little man - he's called Hieronymus now. Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Open Monuments Day 2010 Robert Vermaat 5 2,311 09-17-2010, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Marcus Mummius
  Fort Vechten NL, Multi-period Weekend September 2007 Robert Vermaat 20 5,685 11-26-2007, 03:22 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Romans coming to Fort Vechten on September 8 and 9 Robert Vermaat 0 954 08-10-2007, 04:04 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat