Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greaves as used by Late Romans
You know how long it took me to figure out price and other craftsmen capable of making greaves than Pustelak brothers?
5mins writing post -> 3h waiting -> 2 different craftsmen which I didnt know before.

There are spots when we have to make a deal, like hand-sewn. I can go for machine sewn if cloath still represents past (but mainly I will target hand-sewn stuff in the future) but getting stuff like sword cut from the plate, not forged, or pressed steel for helmet. This is unacceptable.

For example. Someone likes fast, expensive cars but can't afford one. So what such person would do? Save money or buy cheaper fast car.
Same here. If you can't afford custom made helmet, it's perfectly fine sine reanacting is expensive hobby but what should you do?
You should save money or buy cheaper helmet. You can buy Deurne or Koblenz for 400$ (and it looks terrible) or order custom made Christies or Augs for 400-500$ (which will look perfect) or save another 400$ through year and spend 800$ for better custom made helmet next year. It's not like everyone should have helmet right away. I've been waiting for mine 18 months.

I'm going to take part in big event this year, and trust me, when my group will stand next to any other group equipped mainly with cheap asian stuff, everyone will see difference how cheap and inaccurate they look like.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not overweening. I just care about what I show to the people (I cannot lie by showing not proper stuff), plus it should take time to build proper outfit. If you want to buy it off the shell from store, I guarantee that such person will look cheap, cheesy and inaccurate.

This is how it is, like I say "What's cheap, is expensive". I assume most of us have TV like Samsung, Sony, Sharp etc instead of some cheap asian X or Y. Why? Because we choose quality and safety. Same should apply to everything. If you can't afford 50' Sony, do you buy 32' Sony, save money or 50' unknown firm? Same with reanacting stuff.
Damian
Well, I mean, so few people in the US know about the Putselak brothers, for example. We all know about say, Mark Morrow, who makes great swords, and a lot of us have swords and daggers made by him. We have hand-made clothing and leather products available to us via places like Soul of the Warrior and La Wren's Nest (they don't just sell the Indian stuff they do make their own things).

Again, I think it's people don't know or they kind of cringe at the prices (the exchange rate for the pound is dropping at least).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question of late roman greaves and banbraces Titus Amatius Paulus 3 1,430 06-08-2006, 06:13 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat