Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greaves as used by Late Romans
Hi Caius, here could someone please send me apic of some late roman greaves. I am considering getting some of my B-day, thanks Thom R/CAIUS
He who desires peace ,let him prepare for war. He who wants victory, let him train soldiers diligently. No one dares challenge or harm one who he realises will win if he fights. Vegetius, Epitome 3, 1st Century Legionary Thomas Razem
Read this recent thread:
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... ht=greaves
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
(09-05-2006, 07:03 PM)Robert Vermaat Wrote: Read this recent thread:
http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... ht=greaves

Cant locate the thread - has it expired?
Yeah it can't be viewed.

Your best bet is to get a set of the 3rd Century Kunzing Greaves. Kult of Athena was blowin' em out a couple months ago, IIRC.

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?...+Close+Out
(07-11-2016, 06:51 PM)Flavivs Aetivs Wrote: Yeah it can't be viewed.

It's to be found through a Google search but it's no longer of value, older links being gone and all that. Sad
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Thanks.
Was just looking for opinions before getting some.
Kult of Athena does rather poor greaves when compare to find and properly made.

100$ + shipping probably around 30$ which is 520 in my currency while I paid foe mine around 550.
So the question is simple. Would you pay 130$ for these or 130$ + shipping for the ones at the bottom? (Of course money is not everything - KoA has them in stock but if you want hand-made you must wait quite long but isn't is worth? I mean... Reanacting is not like going to grocery when pick stuff and go back home. If you want high-end stuff, time and patience are most important things).

1. Kult of Athena
[Image: DS22_l.jpg]

[Image: 13418410_1198229230207774_5916795816411147602_o.jpg]

2. Find

[Image: 13418787_1198229226874441_10925136847292...e=57F6B09C]

3. Properly made

[Image: 13419111_1198227276874636_13024406147309...e=58245675]

[Image: 13442262_1198227273541303_63846878184860...e=582F3267]
Damian
Ooohh... who made yours?
One of the Pustelak brothers.
Damian
Ah, yes their work is fantastic.
So to summarize... I would stay as far as possible from work of our asian friends and rather look for local craftsman who can do custom greaves.

I mean, if we want to name ourselfes reanactores, let's do this at least properly, not by the half-measure stuff.
Damian
The problem with that is that not everyone can do that. There's two guys in the U.S./Canada that can, them being Matt Lukes and Jeffrey Hildebrandt, both of whom have long waiting lists.

And not all craftsman can do even a pair of Kunzing Greaves for $130 dollars. Prices of materials, etc. vary from country to country. And they have to make a living off it too, and living in the U.S. or Canada is a lot more expensive, so everything costs more too.
(07-13-2016, 03:53 PM)Flavivs Aetivs Wrote: The problem with that is that not everyone can do that. There's two guys in the U.S./Canada that can, them being Matt Lukes and Jeffrey Hildebrandt, both of whom have long waiting lists.

And not all craftsman can do even a pair of Kunzing Greaves for $130 dollars. Prices of materials, etc. vary from country to country. And they have to make a living off it too, and living in the U.S. or Canada is a lot more expensive, so everything costs more too.

I don't take explanation of long waiting list. Reanactment is not like going to grocery.
We are showing history, not quasi-history. Romans had used high quality equipment and so should we.

If I want to buy shoes for 400$ but I can't afford them I buy good shoes for 100$ not looking for fake 400$ shoes, right?

I can't afford layered spatha for 4000 euro but I won't buy layered spatha from Pakistan, made by machine for 500$, I'd rather order high quality mono-steel spatha which I can afford.

In other words, if I can't afford proper greaves I will save money or forget about them.

And one more thing. In XXI century I won't accept when people are saying that they don't now any craftsmen. We are living in time when ordering from different continent is not difficult ergo finding craftsman in USA, Austria, England, Poland - whatever - is not difficult for someone who wants to.
Unless you want to have everything right away and you give a damn about reality and authenticity, but then you shouldnt be reanactor.

It's better for get 2-3 new things per year but with high quality rather than whole outfit right away but with poor quality, so when you stand next to a proper roman reanactor you will look like a clown.

Sorry for being harsh.
________
Everything costs more but you also earn much more. In mu country minimal mothly wage in dollars would be 425$ while custom mono-steel spatha is around 300$, squamata 500-600$, custom made Koblenz 1000-1400$.
Damian
I don't necessarily disagree with you. But a lot do.

Most people don't know who makes these, or are afraid of what the price might be. I think lack of knowledge among the reenactment community is an issue.
Many thanks for posting the images - you pretty much confirmed what I was thinking.
The USA import ones would come to about $210/220 by the time I'd also covered shipping and import taxes so I was already minded to looking for someone in the UK/EU who'd make me a set.
And yep - I'd rather wait and buy just what I want than buy something cheaper that I'll later replace and then have an old set I'd be stuck with.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question of late roman greaves and banbraces Titus Amatius Paulus 3 1,430 06-08-2006, 06:13 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat