Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
54mm Figure Selection
Salve! I collect King and Country 54mm Roman figures and I'm experiencing difficulties in matching them with other 54mm figures. For instance, it turns out that Andrea Miniatures' 54mm figures are much smaller, both in height and body size.<br>
I was wondering if anyone could help. Are Pegaso 54mm figures larger than Andreas? Has anyone else encountered this difficulty with King and Country figures? Thanks and Be Well.<br>
<br>
~A <p></p><i></i>
Yup, Pegaso's figs are (a lot) bigger than Andrea's (or El Viejo Dragon). The latter correspond more closely to the 54mm scale, maybe even 1/35 scale (50mm). Pegaso's, or for instance Soldiers Luchetti's, guys are huge in comparison, easily passing 60mm.<br>
I'd say a matching problem would also be in style and execution of the figures. King & Country are high quality toy soldiers, pre-painted, while Andrea <em>et al</em> are meant to be painted by the modellers themselves.<br>
<p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Thank you Jasper, so far I have found only one manufacturer of unpainted figures, an obscure Russian company, whose height and overall figure size is comparable to King and Country's figures.<br>
<br>
I, too, was concerned about the differences in style between "Toy Soldiers" and military miniatures until I actually began collecting this line. The detail on the King and Country figures as well as the quality of painting is, IMHO, sufficient to allow them to be displayed with military miniatures of the right size (especially considering my very humble skills at painting).<br>
<br>
So, thanks again and I hope to talk to you again.<br>
<br>
Be Well,<br>
~A <p></p><i></i>
Just taken a look at their site. These figures have certainly improved a lot since I last took a conscious look at them (which was years ago, after I made a master for an Airborne recce jeep). But they are horribly expensive (well, compared to an UNpainted Pegaso figure). <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Hi Jasper, Well, I saw these King and Country figures for the first time at a figure show in New Jersey about three years ago and persuaded myself not to buy them because of the price. However, I believe that even the company's website doesn't quite do them justice.<br>
<br>
Surfing Pegaso's website, which lists prices in Euros, I came away under the distinct impression that the retail price for their figures was between $20-$25 a figure. (Feel free to tell me I'm wrong--please tell me I'm wrong!)<br>
<br>
So, it was my thought that, if the figures were the right size, I might buy a few just to fill in gaps in poses. Still, if that is an accurate interpretation of Pegaso's price scheme, then for the extra six or seven dollars, it is tempting to me simply to continue to purchase King and Country and not have to spend the time painting.<br>
<br>
Be Well,<br>
~A <p></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
some good sites to check other miniature-compagnies:<br>
<br>
A German site (check "vollfiguren"):<br>
[url=http://www.zinnfigur.com/All/DHome_Set.asp" target="top]www.zinnfigur.com/All/DHome_Set.asp[/url]<br>
<br>
another one (in English), lots of pictures here:<br>
[url=http://www.histomin.com/wpfigs/wpfigs.htm" target="top]www.histomin.com/wpfigs/wpfigs.htm[/url]<br>
<br>
a webpage about all kind of miniatures (a bit anti-GW):<br>
[url=http://www.theminiaturespage.com/" target="top]www.theminiaturespage.com/[/url]<br>
<br>
i have ordered 2 miniatures from this German compagny (Berlinner zinnfiguren) last friday. One from Andrea and one from Pegaso, to check the quality. Can't wait for them to arrive.<br>
<br>
gr, jeroen <p></p><i></i>
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Salve Jeroen,<br>
<br>
Check this link out go to the link page and then click on: fabrikanten.<br>
[url=http://www.amss.be/" target="top]www.amss.be/[/url]<br>
This will keep you busy for a wile :-)<br>
Thanks again on the tip of the Roman/Syrian archer ;-)<br>
<br>
Groetjes,<br>
<br>
Roberto<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Salve! These links are fantastic! But how do you guys know which companies' figures are a good match for each other in terms of size? Is there any way to know without buying a sample figure?<br>
<br>
Be Well<br>
~A <p></p><i></i>
Well,<br>
<br>
i must admit that i didn't know that Pegaso miniatures were bigger then other. I just choose the same scale (28mm and 54mm). The historical miniatures (54mm) i collect are just selected for being nice. The 28mm (fantasy), i usually buy at the same compagny (Games Workshop), these must be the same size. On the other hand, in fantasy, some models can be a bit taller (bigger monster etc.). By my knowledge, ask someone who has bought a miniature of that compagny. Also, miniatures of 28mm and 25mm are usually of the same size, 54mm and taller are somewhat less of the same size. <p></p><i></i>
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Salve!<br>
<br>
Gentlemen, I thought you might be interested in some measurements I've taken of the King and Country figures and the "Eduard Kasintsev Originals", which are unpainted figures from Russia. I thought they were a close match.<br>
Both are advertized as "54mm Figures" so I took one of each in a standard pose, standing straight and holding a spear (or pilum) at their side as if on guard duty. I measured from the tip of the figures' toe (because the bases were of different thickness) to the very top of the helmet:<br>
<br>
King and Country: 66mm<br>
Eduard Kasintsev Originals: 65mm<br>
<br>
Perhaps it would be well if we added the measurements of other companies' figures to this Thread if possible?<br>
<br>
Be Well<br>
~A<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
hmm that is indeed a bit larger. But, to my knowledge, the 54mm in measured from bottom (the feet) to the eyes (to compensate for the different height of helmets or no helmet).<br>
<br>
i'm still waiting for my two miniatures (from Pegaso and Andrea) to arrive. When they arrive, i'll measure them for you.<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=pelgr003>pelgr003</A> at: 5/12/03 8:58:28 am<br></i>
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

Salve Jeroen, I'm sure you're right about the correct way to measure figures--I measured these because it was relatively simple, the poses and helmet styles were essentially the same (and besides, I didn't know any better!)<br>
I'd greatly appreciate any figure measurement you'd care to post and I'm very interested in the Pegaso miniatures.<br>
Be Well.<br>
~A <p></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
i got the miniatures!!! (i feel just like a kid in a candy store ). Ok, the heights (both are sold as 54mm):<br>
<br>
- Roman legionair AD 125 by Andrea miniatures: to the eyes 54mm, to the top of the helmet 58mm (model is standing straight up).<br>
<br>
- Roman Auxilia by Pegaso models: This model is in a crouch position. To the top: 60mm, corrected (measured along his legs): about 72mm.<br>
<br>
In crouch position the model is about the same height as Andrea. If he would be standing straight up, he would be about a head-length taller. I indeed agree that the model of pegaso is not 54mm, the Andrea model is. My guess is that a Pegaso models is about 70mm (lenght from feet to eyes). Compaired to a real 54mm, a Pegaso model is a gaint!. Both are metal, sold unpainted and have high detail (i really like the detail on the Auxilia helmet).<br>
<br>
i hope that this helps you.<br>
<br>
gr, jeroen <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=pelgr003>pelgr003</A> at: 5/15/03 2:27:18 pm<br></i>
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

Salve! Thank You Jeroen!! That helps very much. I intend to order a Pegaso figure now myself! It's really interesting that there is such a difference in actual size between the manufacturers.<br>
If I find out more, I will definitely post it here. A pity though about Andreas Miniatures, their line is extensive and I was hoping they'd be a perfect match.<br>
Be Well.<br>
~A <p></p><i></i>
Hi<br>
<br>
Im new here and it was quite a coincidence to find a thread like this.<br>
<br>
The question is I had the same problem with K&C and Andrea Models soldiers size. I heard that Conte Romans, St Peterbrug collection and the King and Country are almost the same size. Can anyone confimr this.<br>
<br>
Thank you very much<br>
<br>
Vasco <p></p><i></i>