Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wheres the Falx?
In all my time searching for weapons of the ancient world I have never once found a Falx pole arm for sale. The only find I could come up with was this picture from LegioXX of a Re-Enactor testing a Falx against a Roman shield. What a weapon that would be to own!

More pictures of the Falx at LegioXX
SCROLL DOWN AND LOOK ON LINE F AND E

www.larp.com/legioxx/rdays.html
Anabasis

A.K.A. Michael the Thinker/Tinkerer

"Those who do not choose to see past the veil of lies
and accept the truth of the realities around them are doomed to
suffer for all time" -Michael
The falx in the pictures is a custom piece researched and designed by the reenactor and made for him by Mark Morrow. Having seen it up close and personal I can assure you that it is a very impressive weapon to say the least!

If you want your own falx I think your only option is to have a bladesmith custom make one for you.

Cheers!
Dan
Dan Zeidler
Legio XX
Here you go:

[url:37c335er]http://www.swordsmith.net/roman.asp?gallery=roman&id=44#Items[/url]
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Danz do you know the price by chance?

Does the falx had scabbar as the othe gigantic one in the sword forun does? arqueology or or history support that?

Tarbi thankis again mate!

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Quote:Here you go:

[url:37muykut]http://www.swordsmith.net/roman.asp?gallery=roman&id=44#Items[/url]

Thank You so much Tarbicus! Smile Im sure everyone else will find this useful too!

Best Regards
Anabasis

That reconstructed falx has no scabbard. The owner made probably ten models of wood before settling on that design. He is an engineer and has CAD drawings of the piece, which he sent to Mark Morrow. Morrow prefers very specific drawings and schematics, and he can execute them flawlessly.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
I am not sure how much he paid for it to be honest. The site lists the price per inch for gladius blades though, and you can see the more complex the blade geometry is, the higher the price is. The best way to find out though would be to send Mark Marrow an email and ask him how much he would charge to make you one.

As for the scabbard question - there isn't any evidence to support an answer one way or the other. The falx is rather large and doesn't seem to be the sort of weapon one put in a scabbard - much like a mace or an axe are weapons you don't really put in scabbards. Most likely it was carried for long distances like you would carry a large axe - you rested the handle on your shoulder.
Dan Zeidler
Legio XX
Ok everyone I recieved a reply on the pricing:

Hello Mike,

The blade alone will be $312 the fittings are extra for $50

Thanks Mark

Thats a good price if you consider Albion Armorers want like $500 for their Allectus Gladius etc, just thought I'd compare.
Anabasis

Quote:Ok everyone I recieved a reply on the pricing:

Hello Mike,

The blade alone will be $312 the fittings are extra for $50

Thanks Mark

Thats a good price if you considering Albion Armorers want like $500 for their Allectus Gladius etc, just thought I'd compare.

Thats Good news! :o good price!

Danz & richsc thanks for your replay! Smile

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick.