Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this helmet a fake or true?
Thanks for bringing this use of one of my images off the Legio VI Real Gear page for commercial purposes, without my permission (or that of Christie's, which authorized me to shoot these images). This is strictly a no-no in my book. Tarbicus, you seem to know this guy. Could you contact him and ask him to, at the very least, ask me to use this image? Thanks.
T. Flavius Crispus / David S. Michaels
Centurio Pilus Prior,
Legio VI VPF
CA, USA

"Oderint dum probent."
Tiberius
Surely I want to respect the rules of the forum, anyway you ought to consider the "spirit" of the things according to how I put that link: I tried to understand, since I'm not a helmet expert nor an e-bay expert too (never used):

1. asking if that helmet was true or a replica (asking the RAT experts)
2. Putting the link to the simple image
3. Putting the link to e-bay, only after the perplexity of the members and the difficulty to find it to take a look
4. Apologizing for the mistake about the helmet

What more? So, even if I know that RAT is a private forum where you must accept the rules, of course, I think there are many polite ways to keep the control, since that politeness and collaborative spirit has to be the base of the forum:

Quote:What is Encouraged:

1. Treating others as you would want to be treated. Be polite and courteous, and you'll be treated that way. Healthy disagreement over ideas or facts is definitely OKAY. But direct your arguments at another person's logic -- not at the person. Be mature!

2. Supporting newcomers and helping them to become a member of the community. Build the board one person at a time. Welcome newbies' innocent questions. Someone who has 5,000 posts is not a Superior Being, so veterans should take the time to explain things patiently -- because we were all new once!

Well, I was an old red/black RAT member but was away for more than one year, so I'm almost a newcomer in the new RAT (new people, new rules, decorations, laudes, awards, new kind of spirit too...) Maybe it's another thing, less "direct", "hot"and light-hearted, but I can like it at the same, just please don't go like trains, please go like in a bicycle joyride...

What a newcomer could understand of all that and of my person? That I'm a secret agent of e-bay and my job is to drive people to the auctions? Being clear the absence of malice (!), the moderator could use some more friendly words to explain his action instead of acting like Judge Dredd...I'd have understood at the same...

Valete
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
Hi Daniele,

1,2 and 4 are very good.
3 was a violation against forum rules (which you should have read upon returning? Maybe? :wink:

As far as the rest is concerned, I don't think you were treated unpolitely?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Daniele, don't take it personally. I've had my wrists slapped in the past for similar, and also unwittingly, but it really is with the best of intentions that the site comes down hard on direct links to Ebay auctions, and has nothing to do with you doing the deed, or I for that matter. :wink: It's more to make sure that nobody else even thinks about it, I suspect, and it's with the best intentions at heart.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Hi!
I don´t see what was unfriendly in my post, but if you regard it that way, I a very sorry. It´s simply that I have to work quite a lot and do not have the time to write long posts all the time.
Cheers! Christian
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
No one has formally cautioned or chastised you for this have they Daniele? If not then please don't take this so hard- if we'd thought that you had knowingly committed a violation of the rules, someone would have given you a formal warning. All that happened is that the inappropriate postings were altered and it was simply explained that we cannot just attach links to ebaY or other unprovenanced auctions/ sales in threads. No one is annoyed at you or blames you for the transgression :wink:

It's unfortunate I think that we're restricted in how we can discuss these things, but legally it can be considered advertising to place links in places like this- it's not us saying that it is so.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
If so, it's Ok for me, case closed, guys: never more sale sites in my posts.

Valete
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
I apologize if I am like Judge Dredd. I read every post on almost every forum, and sometimes I do not make the time to explain in a better manner. (Sometimes I do not read all of the posts in the off topic and newsfeeds forums). Sometimes perhaps I am too abrupt in corrections.

I do not mean to be like Judge Dredd or Judge Death. Smile
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Quote:I do not mean to be like Judge Dredd or Judge Death. Smile
I wouldn't mind :twisted:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is this helmet FAKE in Rome army? Morloc 1 341 10-07-2021, 04:56 PM
Last Post: Corvus
  New Roman (fake?) helmet from Fischer auction Ildar 7 2,001 08-26-2015, 11:41 AM
Last Post: Renatus
  Roman helmet on auction Genuine or Fake? jho 19 4,921 10-26-2011, 02:17 AM
Last Post: A_Volpe