Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
greek colours
Salve,

i have read most of the stuff here but i still have a question. I'm doing some research of which colour to give to a hoplite because i have a miniature to paint:
this one: Greek Hoplite, V-IV c. B.C.

I get the idea that most of the colour were a matter of personal choice, is that correct? The shield design also seems more of a personal thing then standard icons (Spartans being an exception)

thanks in advance!
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
After the Archaic period most city states had adopted their official emblem.
Small cities would have one or two but Athens and Sparta would sport 14(!!!) different emblems at that period.
If your hoplite has just the basic requirements to serve and cannot spent much on decoration the emblem painted black or dark broen using oxidisatio process would suffice. the emblems on Osprey´s "Spartan Army" give an indication.
If you hoplite is an estblished farmer or rich atisan or trader his city or clan emblem would be like in the image on the link yo uprovide.
The hoplite on the image is a wealthy Beotian "Spartos" from Levadea.
Snake designates indigenous ("Spartos") and the image of Trophonius sanctuary near the ciry.
Also on his shoulder plates he bears the spear point of the Beotian spartoi according to Plutarch.

Hope I helped

Kind regards
Thanks! but some more:

the armour/ linothorax: i have seen this white and black: also something personal?
colour tunic: probably personal choice i think?
shield emblem: i'll look for something here. If i understand you correctly, a "poor" man only had his shield painted dark green or black and only the rich would have an emblem (clan and/ or city)?
colour of the cloth hanging on the hoplon: also a personal choice?

were there colours that nobody used? Purple would have been rare i think?
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Linothorax colours for many hoplites would be personal choice.
Only the Argive logadae might have a completely white one (still reserching that!). An "off-white" colour with decorations done by you in your spare time would be available to rank anf file. Still the richer men could invest in a coloured outer layer. It was a matter of personal choce.
Both "rich" and "poor" hoplite would carry the city emblem in the classical period. Only the "rich" could afford to paint it detailed with colours; the others would carry the "oxidised" version.
Hoplon curtine would possibly again be personal choice.
We have some potery examples where they have a "light" background with the "eye of Dike" in "dark" color, but not sure what color they might be.
The "eye of Dike" on the shield curtine would be the "crusading" symbol of the hoplites fighting in the Delphic holy wars.

Purple! Yes for royalty or the very rich!

Hope it helps
Kind regards

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek ship colours, patterns and other details Lýsandros 13 5,083 09-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Lýsandros