Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Tactics
How were the roman tactics during the Republic (after the legion was created, before the Marian reforms)?
I know they used the quincunx formation and the maniples for organization but how and where were Equites deployed?
Which were the most common tactics used after the engagement?

[size=59:1t50eu5p]More questions are coming later on[/size]
Francisco Machado aka M.ilionario

Atheist

"You must not fight too often with one enemy, or you will teach him all your art of war" - Napoleon Bonaparte
These are not simple questions.

The first question includes everything that happened in two Punic wars, plus assorted conflicts with Macedonians, Gauls, etc.

The second question is easier to answer. Conventionally, Roman cavalry were deployed on both flanks of the army, and their main function was to make sure the infantry of the legions were not harassed or outflanked before the infantry could break the enemy center.

"the most common tactics used after the engagement" ? After a battle, pursuit tended to be rather limited in this period, and was the second role of the cavalry, after the role mentioned above.

The best soldier type depended on the situation. Velites were light infantry; and if the enemy were predominantly light troops, then catching them might be the main problem - then velites were best. On the other hand, the triarii were equipped with old-fashioned spears, and best suited to resisting attack, so that against a massive enemy assault these might be particularly important soldiers. Certainly they were the senior type, and might be considered the elite, overall.
Felix Wang
When I said "the most common tactics used after the engagement" I meant what did the Romans do when they were already engaged (sorry for not being clear :oops: ).

Thanks for trying to understand me (I know it's hard sometimes :lol: )

Atheist

"You must not fight too often with one enemy, or you will teach him all your art of war" - Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote:Which were the most common tactics used after the engagement?
Why, marriage would be the decent thing... Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Why, marriage would be the decent thing...

[size=150:l5lga9o1]LOL[/size]

I meant: when the front lines were fighting, which was the common tactic for support troops to use? :wink:

Atheist

The romans throw their pila before or during the charge?
Now, the same questions as those of the first post but this time regarding the post-Marian armies.

Atheist

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Infantry Tactics by M. J. Taylor antiochus 14 3,980 02-18-2015, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Michael J. Taylor
  Roman Dislike of Tactics/Ambushes etc? Lyceum 9 2,625 09-21-2013, 07:23 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  Late Roman Tactics Anonymous 38 9,290 11-07-2008, 09:38 PM
Last Post: PMBardunias