Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Battles on Computer
I've been a board wargamer for a long time. Recently I've been thinking that maybe I should try a computer game. After all what else is that gray plastic box good for?<br>
<br>
I am not interested in building an empire or managing resources. I want to game battles.<br>
<br>
Can anyone recommend a line of games that empahasizes the battles? I guess what I am looking for is a board game played on computer.<br>
<br>
Also, do you know of any sites I could visit and see a demo and get information about what is available?<br>
<br>
I tried a demo of the computer version of GMT's GBoH, Hannibal, but it would not run in XP (I think that was the problem). Any suggestions or recommendations? <p></p><i></i>
Tom Mallory
NY, USA
Wannabe winner of the corona
graminea and the Indy 500.
Other than the Hannibal-Alexander-Caesar series you already tried to run, there aren't any grognard-style (hex wargame) Roman games right now. I am waiting and hoping that Total War: Rome won't stink, but it's a real-time game, not a classic wargame.<br>
<br>
I haven't tried Praetorians; can anyone comment on that one?<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
The demo for Praetorian is impressive but it does not appear to be grognard-style at all. Hopefully, someone on this board will have already tried it, and will provide us with a review.........hint, hint. <p></p><i></i>
Tom Mallory
NY, USA
I wouldn't recommend Legion, truth be told. You'll get bored of it in a few weeks. I'd hold out for Praetorians, looks cool. As far as I know, there is a demo to download, but can't remember where.<br>
<br>
you could try here [url=http://www.gamesdomain.com" target="top]www.gamesdomain.com[/url]<br>
<p><br>
Magnus/Matt<br>
Optio<br>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix" </p><i></i>
Praetorians is probally the best you will go. I played the demo and loved it so much I bought the game. I think it's one of the best games i have bout out of Caesar2, Caesar3, Pharoah, Cleopatra, AOE, AOE The Rise Of Rome, AOE Expansion, AOE2 The Age of Kings, AOE The Conquers, Gods & Generals, Lords of The Relms 2, Deadly Dozen, Medal of Honor, Medal of Honor Spearhead, Legion, 1602 A.D., Empire Earth, Empire Earth The Art of Conquest, WWII Fighters, Rogue Spear Black Thorn, Half Life, Stronghold, and Stronghold Crusaders. As you can tell I am a PC Gamer. I have probably spent more money on games then all of you. These are just my fighting games. I got about 30 more which are racing games and stuff. <p></p><i></i>
I'm running GBOH Collectors Edition on WinXP just fine. You have to both install it and run it in Win95 compatability mode. (Right click executable-properties-compatability-win95-apply).<br>
<br>
Also grab the patch. There are some files that need to go on your windows/system32 directory. But it works great! Cheers...<br>
<br>
Los<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Los

aka Carlos Lourenco
Some comments;<br>
<br>
1. GBOH series - too "gamey" for my tastes - my god, why use hexes w/ a PC game??<br>
But, if you think you will like them then go to this site for details on how to install w/ various systems;<br>
www.ianm.clara.net/index.html<br>
<br>
2. If you own Siege of Jerusalem you may want to download an "e-mail" version from this site;<br>
www.abovethefields.com/top_soj/<br>
<br>
3. Clarification on R:TW - it will be TURN based in the Strategic realm (although at this point no one knows exactly how this will be handled since CA is working on full Strategic/tactical map integration) and real time during the tactical battles. The TW tactical interface is simple and effective so these games do not become a click fest.<br>
<br>
4. I'll take a pass on both Praetorian's and Legion since they look way too much like other RTS games that loath.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
Barkhorn.<br>
<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=barkhorn1x>Barkhorn1x</A> at: 3/26/03 8:38:28 pm<br></i>
BTW you can pick up all these games, GBOH, Legion, whatever for like $5-$15 on ebay so you can check them all out with little risk. (I picked up Legion and GBOH Collectors Edition for 9 and 7 respectively) My kid's into Romans and for a small investiment you can play these games without kicking yourself in the butt for paying $45 or more...little to lose, (Unless $10 is a lot fo money for you).<br>
<br>
Until something better comes along (ala Imperium or R:TW), it's mostly all we've got.<br>
<br>
Los <p></p><i></i>
Los

aka Carlos Lourenco
Thanks Los! I wondered if there was something I could do on installation to make the games playable. And thanks for the tip about ebay. <p></p><i></i>
Tom Mallory
NY, USA
Check this one out!!!!!!!!!!<br>
<br>
www.totalwar.com <br>
<br>
see roman wars.........<br>
<br>
looks nice enough to me....... but flawed...<br>
ah well, you cant get totally accurate, can you!!<br>
<br>
regds....<br>
M.Vib.M. <p></p><i></i>
This wargame will probably build more expectations in your dreams. I have played the two predecessors, Shogun and Medieval (strange, when Shogun hit the market, I sent EA a question to do it also for Rome. They said -> no immediate plans...look at it...stunning).<br>
<br>
www.totalwar.com/rome.htm<br>
<br>
I am very fond of all wargames, but especially the Ancient ones. There are not enough intesting ones on the computer (I liked Centurion, Defender of Rome, and Legion).<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Yes, the buzz for Rome Total War is very good indeed. I am a bit disturbed by the modelling of the equipment on many of the (Roman) units, and by some of the rather kooky sounding units such as gladiators.<br>
<br>
However, these quibbles will seem petty when I am finally able to reenact onscreen the famous quincunx march scene from SPARTACUS!<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
Avete, omnes!<br>
<br>
Jenny wrote:<br>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>However, these quibbles will seem petty when I am finally able to reenact onscreen the famous quincunx march scene from SPARTACUS!<hr><br>
<br>
Y'know Jenny, I knew that you were special, but I had <span style="text-decoration:underline"><strong>NO IDEA</strong></span> until now that you are the woman of my dreams...<br>
<br>
Scythius <p>LEG IX HSPA - COH III EXPG - CEN I HIB<br>
<br>
Hipsters, Flipsters, and Finger-Poppin' Daddies, Knock me your lobes!<br>
I came here to lay Caesar out, Not to hip you to him.<br>
The bad jazz that a cat blows, Wails long after he's cut out.<br>
The groovy, is often stashed with their frames, So don't put Caesar down........'<br>
</p><i></i>
Adam MacDonald

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org">www.legio-ix-hispana.org
Wow, well, I'll tell you a little secret: I'm just a nerdy Army captain. And I'm happily married, heehee. So sorry!<br>
<br>
Aren't there any more girlie wargamers out there? Scythius wants you!<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
Jenny<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny

You know, I've <span style="text-decoration:underline"><strong>got</strong></span> to work on timing and placement...<br>
<br>
Scy <p>LEG IX HSPA - COH III EXPG - CEN I HIB<br>
<br>
Hipsters, Flipsters, and Finger-Poppin' Daddies, Knock me your lobes!<br>
I came here to lay Caesar out, Not to hip you to him.<br>
The bad jazz that a cat blows, Wails long after he's cut out.<br>
The groovy, is often stashed with their frames, So don't put Caesar down........'<br>
</p><i></i>
Adam MacDonald

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org">www.legio-ix-hispana.org

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tactical battles in Computer Wargames StrategyM 5 2,443 04-02-2003, 12:55 PM
Last Post: Anonymous