Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
provocator \'bell\' helmet?
hello, first post.

planning on commissioning a helmet for full contact gladiator combat (as a provocator) and was wondering if anyone had worn a helmet of the type shown here:

http://www.fragmentsoftime.com/provocator_gladiator.htm

i haven't seen any copies on the various groups webpages and was wondering about the advantages/disadvantages compared with the usual Imperial Gallic skull w/ pierced occulars.

this will be for SCA rattan combat (fighting w/ them the last 14 years). we've had a few -bad- gladiator personae and i want to put some effort into doing it as right as i'm able given the group's limitations.

RAT is an amazing resource, i've been lurking for some time.
rob gage

"You talk of food? I have no taste for food--what I really crave is slaughter and blood and the choking groans of men!" - Achilles
Hello Pictus,

Welcome to the forum. But, may I ask you to enter your real name in your signature please? It's a forum rule, you know.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
just trying to find how to turn it on in the Profile. i'm a little web challenged. i'll get it....
rob gage

"You talk of food? I have no taste for food--what I really crave is slaughter and blood and the choking groans of men!" - Achilles
Pictus
Helmets of that type come from the Greek east. I don't know of any surviving examples or any reconstructions. Until an original is found, construction remains conjectural.
Pecunia non olet
Quote:Pictus
Helmets of that type come from the Greek east. I don't know of any surviving examples or any reconstructions. Until an original is found, construction remains conjectural.

thank you, hadn't hear about them being from Greece before. can you post a source?

i still may forward the pics to my armourer and see what he thinks about making one.
rob gage

Pictus
No need for sources. Go to the innumerable grave stele and other reliefs that show that type of helmet. The inscriptions are invariably in Greek, not Latin.
Pecunia non olet
ah.

so does that make it a sort of provincial variant?
rob gage

Hi, that "bell" helmet is also seen in relief and a picture of it appears on page 57 of "Gladiators and Caesars" by Kohne and Ewigleben. Specifically, this one is from Turkey in Smyrna. Coincidently, i'm from new york also. Regards, michiann
Michael

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Provocator helmet Lusitano 12 6,117 06-18-2011, 04:17 PM
Last Post: michiann
  Provocator Helmet muskitear 55 17,183 04-26-2011, 10:40 PM
Last Post: muskitear
  Famous helmet from a provocator ! Caivs Molinarivs Blandvs 16 6,890 11-12-2007, 09:05 AM
Last Post: Medusa Gladiatrix