Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tinned Italic "I"
I tinned the sucker...tired of cleaning the brass oxidation off... SHINEY is goooood. I'd like to say that I dipped it in molten tin and brushed off the extra tin material like the romans probably did, but actually I took the cheek guards off and electroplated most of it...tin flux was used on difficult areas. Hand polished to a nice shine...it is actually much shinier than pictured, but it's hard to capture the brilliance in pics...
Gallus Marinus Micarius
a.k.a. Peter Van Rossum
LEG IX HSPA - COH III EXPG - CEN I HIB
FIDELITAS - - VIRTUS - - MAGNANIMITAS
Really nice..!
How do you tin a helmet..?
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
wow, if i tried tinning somthing that big i'd probably end up getting burned or somthing.
Brent Grolla

Please correct me if I am wrong.
You did a great job , was this a depeeka gallic I that you had modified or was it a custom built helmet...
Gaius Germanicus / aka A. Ingoglia
The helm is Deepeeka and I purchased an electroplating kit from:

http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/tin_plate.htm

It's not an out of the box product, for example you have to buy 6 quarts of battery acid from an auto supply store, then mix everything together and use/store everything very safely. Lots of trial and error with the kit to get everything working well, storage is a concern...I keep it at the Legio IX workshop so the wife wont kick it over and burn a hole in the ground to China...

I also tinned my "wageena" (see pic) and thinking about tearing my segmentata apart and tinning that too...
Gallus Marinus Micarius
a.k.a. Peter Van Rossum
Very nicely done!! Wish I could do something like that...
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
We have the tin electroplating unit in the Workshop as well as tinning flux, and a hot tinning arrangement as well... dipping ( into a pot of liquid tin!) and heat plating... where you rub tin on a hot metal surface.

And we're learning how to solder using the old style soldering iron...not electric!

We also think we may have come up with a way to make a "historic" tinning flux... experimental of course.

Tin is fun!
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
How many amps did you use to tin your helmet?
"In war as in loving, you must always keep shoving." George S. Patton, Jr.
WOW!
That helmet is awesome!....and that scabbard.....perfect!
Great idea you got there, huh?.....tinning.
Excellent work Peter
Francisco Machado aka M.ilionario

Atheist

"You must not fight too often with one enemy, or you will teach him all your art of war" - Napoleon Bonaparte
We are documenting the process.. all of them...

.. including:. photos, descriptions of what worked and what DID NOT work.. no sense for anyone making the same mistakes we did!

Some methods work better for somethings.. for example hot dipping an umbo.. this affixes a thicker layer of tin on something that's going to get a lot of wear and tear....

I let Micari answer the electroplating Q's.
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
John ~

When I first got the kit, I would meticulouly calculate what my power should be per square inch of material....but after many mediocre results I just started maxing the thing out, regardless of the size of the object. My power supply max's out at 3.20amp, so that's what I used on both the helm and the scabbard.

While tinning, I occasionally pull the objects out to check on the progress (the thick, milky look means it's done, then you buff off the "haze" to reveal shiney maddness). The helm took about 30minutes of tinning to do the trick.

thanks for the compliments fellas...keep in mind that it's not a beautiful gem encrusted republican gladius and sheath (John), but it's fun.
Gallus Marinus Micarius
a.k.a. Peter Van Rossum
Quote:keep in mind that it's not a beautiful gem encrusted republican gladius and sheath (John), but it's fun.
It won't rust :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Oh, yes, I have tinned using their kit. My calculations did not seem to produce the results I wanted. I tinned a couple of umbos and got no tin on the low current areas. I finally left one in for about 15 hours, and it came out almost black. However, a buffer took care of that, and now it is beautiful and shiney.
"In war as in loving, you must always keep shoving." George S. Patton, Jr.
Micarius, how did you blacken yours? I thoght about blacken mine...
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Romus - that steel will tin up nicely...just need a big enough bucket to fit that gorgeous helm into!

Faventianus - I blackened the Gallic "D" in my avatar a few months ago in...get this...my outdoor gas grill. I simply heated the grill up to 300F and then oiled the steel parts of my helm and stuck it in the oven for about 45minutes. The brass didn't blacken and only the steel did...but I had to buff some of the cooked oil off the brass parts.

:lol:
Gallus Marinus Micarius
a.k.a. Peter Van Rossum