Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Byzantine inscription / Ligatures
I know some Greek, but ligatures are always difficult. I saw this inscription in Qasr Libya, ancient Theodorias, a Byzantine city in the Cyrenaica, founded by Justinian. I am unable to make much sense of it. A friend who knows a lot about Byzantine art and has translated Procopius should be able to solve the puzzle, but he is in Athens enjoying a holiday.

The first line poses no problems, and even suggests a biblical quotation containing the "Lord of Powers". I have checked the Septuagint, but without much succes. Anyone else?

And for those who try to help me: here is your reward. Isn't it beautiful?
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Well I guess Stefanos know a little ancient greek or medieval.

I have no problem to reed the first part as you & I guessed a bible quotation as well...

Perhaps you can type all that in the net, or some lines, to see were the quotation comes from. At less you have A Greek Bible software, it would make it easy.

Quote:And for those who try to help me: here is your reward. Isn't it beautiful?

Yes indeed!... :wink:

BTW: do you know if this is a replica or made up?
Is cute.
[Image: JustinianTheodora.jpg]

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Quote:BTW: do you know if this is a replica or made up?
Is cute.
[Image: JustinianTheodora.jpg]
Clearly made up. It's a combination of the two famous mosaics showing Justinian and Theodora.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Thanks Vorti/Robert! :oops:

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Seems that Greek was not native tongue to the artist because syntax is poor but here it goes:

LORD OF POWERS WITH US (meaning: HE will aid us for sure )
"HE HEARD US" THE GOD OF JAKOB
THE "HOLY", THE GREAT, THE ETERNAL
"GIVE SUPPORT", BE THE FAITH OF
YOUR SERVANT THEOLOGOS "IF YOU WILL"
The words in quotes are badly or wrongly written and the syntax is poor.

I am under the impression that the artist worked in a hurry or under extreme presure. It is written as if some one has fumbled under stress.

Hope it helps
Quote:Hope this helps
Yes it did!! Thanks!
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website