Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Arian Controversy and the Council of Nicea
Good points Theodosius. However, I'm a bit confused. If there wasn't any bickering until Constantine then what was the point of Nicaea?

I totally agree that unity was of utmost importance. I said earlier that there was little point in solidifying pagan religions. True, it may sound easier to unify 3 or 4 Christian sects rather than a thousand pagan ones but like I stated before no pagan sects were at each others throats over dogma. I hate what if's but if the Christians were originally united behind one theology would they still have been a thorn in Rome's side pre-Constantine? Probably. I don't think it was their disunity as much as their on-the-edge-of-society nature that posed the problem for Rome. By accepting Christianity, Constantine removed some of the religion's "edginess".

Unless I misunderstood you, I think you might be juxtaposing facts from different periods when you mention Constantine's attempt at unity and Arian barbarians persecuting pagans and such. I don't think during Constantine's time Romans preferred rule by a Christian emperor.

I'm enjoying this discussion and looking forward to your response. Maybe you can bring me into the fold of being a true believer. Big Grin
Michael Paglia

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Arian Controversy and the Council of Nicea - by mpags - 09-04-2006, 06:17 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Council of Chalcedon Jona Lendering 11 3,095 10-04-2007, 10:42 PM
Last Post: Jona Lendering