Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First attempt @ hinges and closure loops
Why don't you just use aviation snips? They're a LOT easier to use than a dremel with cutting wheel. When even 0.064" brass is annealed, it's not hard to cut- you do have to file down the teethmarks, but that's not hard. You've got a ton more control with snips too...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Quote:Why don't you just use aviation snips? They're a LOT easier to use than a dremel with cutting wheel. When even 0.064" brass is annealed, it's not hard to cut- you do have to file down the teethmarks, but that's not hard. You've got a ton more control with snips too...

I tried the snips and i just couldnt do acurately enough, I 'd get too much or too little, or the whole piece would kind get caught and flip sideways when I tried to snip-- its seems like because the snips are too big, but I have a regular size pair. Pretty much the same size as I see them anywhere. I will give them another try, though.
Kevin Dopke

Marcus Lucilius Severus
Legio XXIV
First, try cutting with just the end of the snips- this helps avoid the twisting of the thing you're cutting, and keeps the cuts straight. And be sure you hold the piece tightly- this helps too.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Quote:First, try cutting with just the end of the snips- this helps avoid the twisting of the thing you're cutting, and keeps the cuts straight. And be sure you hold the piece tightly- this helps too.

Will Do! Thanks Matt.
Kevin Dopke

Marcus Lucilius Severus
Legio XXIV
One other thing- you are using the yellow-handled type for straight cuts, not the red or green types for left and right curve cuts, yes?
Quote:One other thing- you are using the yellow-handled type for straight cuts, not the red or green types for left and right curve cuts, yes?

Ummm--oops. I have red ones. It didnt say anything on the package about them being for curves though. Ugggh!~
Kevin Dopke

Marcus Lucilius Severus
Legio XXIV
Yeah, red is for right angled cuts, green is left i believe. Or im bass ackwards.

Legion: TBD
Quote:Yeah, red is for right angled cuts, green is left i believe. Or im bass ackwards.

So I need to find Yellow then? Well jeez, I have done a decent job so far cutting straight with curved snips. I cut all my torso plates and they look pretty good.
Kevin Dopke

Marcus Lucilius Severus
Legio XXIV
Oh it can be done, but the red and green are meant for curves- I think they're looser and one is assembled the opposite to the other, so the yellow would probably be a lot easier for you to use.
OK! Aviation snips worked great, I have vastly reduced the girth of the loops on 9 fittings thus far. I went to the hardware store and found out that my red handled snips are straight. I dont know exactly how they work the colors, but the red, yellow and green are all rated for up to 18 gauge. Then for whatever reason the straight one I have is rated at 16 gauge, it has a red handle. Odd, yes, but it has worked well. Thanks.
Kevin Dopke

Marcus Lucilius Severus
Legio XXIV
Interesting- I thought it was a consistent, universal color-code. Well good to hear you have the right ones afterall. The main thing I found is to use only the forward half of the jaws when cutting something small or narrow and thick- otherwise it definitely has a tendency to twist rather than cut (when you hold it to cut that is).
Quote:Interesting- I thought it was a consistent, universal color-code. Well good to hear you have the right ones afterall. The main thing I found is to use only the forward half of the jaws when cutting something small or narrow and thick- otherwise it definitely has a tendency to twist rather than cut (when you hold it to cut that is).

Its the same company, on the same shelf: 18 gauge Red, Yellow and Green and then right under it was the red handled, straight 16 gauge. Really weird!
Kevin Dopke

Marcus Lucilius Severus
Legio XXIV
Added a laudes as well. Too many guys want everything to be laser-CNC cut perfect rather than looking like it is handmade.

Bravo!

A maxim around the Legio IX workshop - "It's not perfect? - That makes it PERFECT!"
Adam MacDonald

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org">www.legio-ix-hispana.org
OK I dont know if anyone is still paying attention to this thread, but I thinned out the loops and they look better, but now my next issue is the fact that a lot of the fittings are pretty chewed up from the tools and discolored. If you go back and look at the pics, you can see that there are a lot of pits, errant file marks and black spots. I have filed off most of the little bite marks from the avaiation snips, but a lot of these are pretty chewed up. Can anyone speak to whether this is a bad thing, or if it is just a part of them looking hand made?
Kevin Dopke

Marcus Lucilius Severus
Legio XXIV
It depends...I'd look at how functional they're going to be with all the dings and dents. If they'll still work, and won't pose any danger to you or the leather strapping (from sharp edges, or tears), then use'em. File and hammer out any serious flaws, then try them out.

Just say your seggie was built during a time of war...a lot of fittings and plates would have been built quickly and by apprentices, so the finishing touches may have been left off.

I'm sure your stuff is spot on.

Legion: TBD

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making Lorica closure loops driving me CRAZY! sillious saurus 34 9,874 05-02-2008, 05:43 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius
  Mail closure hooks madoc 5 1,898 07-09-2005, 07:44 PM
Last Post: John M McDermott