Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First attempt @ hinges and closure loops
Perhaps- but then again remember they're small and there's a lot of area in a torso to hit. Slashes would be more to the side rather than the vertical centerline, and even if the striker were at the side of the target, the thickness of an edged weapon is pretty small. The flat parts of the plates are quite flat, and are right against the armor plate, so there's not really anywhere for it to deform to, and a squished loop can be just bent back into shape...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Quote:No, as far as I knew you can only use the brasso for basic polishing...they won't change the discolouration from heating back to the normal brass colour.

Ah, okay, that's why I suggested steel wool- because Kevin is needing to remove the annealing oxidation color, not just to polish the brass.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
I worked on them last night and cleaned them up really nice, they look much better! I forgot to bring them to show the pics. I canned 7 of them as unsalvageable, and will recut them and be much more careful. I think a lot of the problem is my being so impatient (but so was Julius Caesar). Anyway, my month old Dremel bit the dust and I am pissed. A wire came loose, and when I took it apart to fix the wire the whole damn works squirted out and all over my workbench. Ugggh! Now I have to figure out where all these stupid parts go. One other thing kind of off topic for anyone still listening (Matt?) Did I read somewhere that when you cut the torso plates, the right side should be an inch and a half longer to compensate for the 3/4 recess of the closure loops on the front and back of the left? Does that sound right, or did I imagine that?
Kevin Dopke

Marcus Lucilius Severus
Legio XXIV
Hello, Sillious

I don't know about other people's reconstructions, but as far as Matt's site goes, you are correct:

"The length of the left-hand girdle plates is one-half of your circumference (wearing tunic and subarmalis). The right-hand plates are about an inch and a half longer than that, to allow for c. 3/4" of overlap at front and back. All of the plates on each side are the same length, unless your torso is significantly wider at the top than at the bottom, in which case you must figure out how much to shorten each succeeding plate. "

Again, I don't know how many other people did it that way, but I'd imagine quite a few of them did.
Brandon Shifflet
Quote:Hello, Sillious

I don't know about other people's reconstructions, but as far as Matt's site goes, you are correct:

"The length of the left-hand girdle plates is one-half of your circumference (wearing tunic and subarmalis). The right-hand plates are about an inch and a half longer than that, to allow for c. 3/4" of overlap at front and back. All of the plates on each side are the same length, unless your torso is significantly wider at the top than at the bottom, in which case you must figure out how much to shorten each succeeding plate. "

Again, I don't know how many other people did it that way, but I'd imagine quite a few of them did.

Great, I know I saw that somewhere! Now I have to recut the right side because I dont pay attention. But, I am learning!
Kevin Dopke

Marcus Lucilius Severus
Legio XXIV
Quote:Kevin, have you checked if your library has, or can get, Lorica Segmentata Volumes 1 & 2? You can see in them a myriad of different shapes for fittings, especially in Vol.2 which catalogues most (if not all), with drawings, of the seg parts found at the time of writing.
[url:25m8vlas]http://www.armatura.co.uk/[/url]

Both are well worth a look. Matt's making me a seg using different shaped fittings for my Corbridge C (or, Matt's making a bonfire. I don't get Canadian humour, he may be telling the truth).

Can you (or someone) give me more info on those volumes - author, publisher, etc.
I'm almost at a guarantee that my local library won't even try to get them (small town of around 400-500 population), so I may need to think about investing some money? Please tell me it's not the one I'm looking at on Amazon for $150?

Thanks in advance.
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.
Here you go Brian: [url:1xqn99gl]http://www.oxbowbooks.com/bookinfo.cfm/ID/53445[/url] And yeah, it would be about $150 for volumes 1 and 2
Ouch! not only expensive (get what you pay for, I'll hope) but also out of stock....

Just my luck.
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Making Lorica closure loops driving me CRAZY! sillious saurus 34 9,874 05-02-2008, 05:43 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius
  Mail closure hooks madoc 5 1,898 07-09-2005, 07:44 PM
Last Post: John M McDermott