Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NG - Earth Investigated: Roman Technology
last night i saw a program on National Geographic (in NL): Earth Investigated: Roman Technology. A very nice program - they compaired a lot of "modern" inventions with Roman ones.
Also, halfway in the show, one of our members showed up: Kate Gilliver! (along with ESG i think)

reruns: (inNL)
26 augustus, 14.00 uur
27 augustus, 0.00 uur
27 augustus, 19.00 uur
30 augustus, 15.00 uur
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock:

They said they'd send me a dvd of it when they'd finished it but they haven't! I think I can get Nat Geograph on my cable box, I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

We filmed it late Autumn early Winter last year - and it was the ESG. I spent a very entertaining day at Chris Haines' farm in Gloucestershire. 'Be more enthusiastic' the director kept saying, 'it's for an American audience! They like enthusiasm!'
LOL,

well, the show was very nice!
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Quote:LOL,

well, the show was very nice!

I thought so too. I hadn't heard before about the use of double glazing ...

On a side note, if anybody here cares about Roman aquaducts and you happen to be in the south of France, you can spend an interesting day (or more) by retracing the remains of the aquaduct of Nimes - features the Pont du Gard (of course ...), but also various other existing sections and remains, plus even three tunnel sections (two of which you can walk through).
Regards,
Daniel
as i understood, the double glazing was mainly used in the bath-houses. Pretty smart guy who came up with that one!
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

Glad you enjoyed it. Hope I do too if I ever get to see it!!

I second Daniel's remarks about the Pont du Gard, but it's not as impressive as the Dorchester aqueduct :wink:

Please note the element of parochial pride here.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Books on Roman technology richsc 1 804 11-13-2013, 05:10 AM
Last Post: Eleatic Guest
  Roman technology - acids Anonymous 6 1,424 03-24-2003, 11:19 PM
Last Post: Anonymous