Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gaming a la \'Shogun: Total War\'
The computer simulations I've seen of Roman armies leave a lot to be desired. Has anyone seen the recent computer game release Shogun: Total War? I suggested to the developers..not that they read their email..that a Roman version would be welcome.<br>
If you haven't seen the game, it's worth the demo download. You have a lot of control over your forces, which include all sorts of different units, and they all behave differently based on training, class, experience, leadership, fatigue, etc., and the graphics of all the soldiers and landscape are very detailed and well done.<br>
I'd like the opportunity to re-fight Alesia from both sides, take over from Varus, play Boudicca. Not to mention, if it had a toolkit, to build scenarios, re-equip troops, and try different tactics.<br>
<br>
I don't know if any of you are gamers, but sometimes software companies are influenced by the votes they get, translating to sales. Would any of you be interested in a 'historically correct' game/simulation?<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Rich, I went ahead and moved your comments to our friend Shiro's turf, 'Off Topic' where it would be more appropriate.<br>
However, about your comments concerning a more historically correct game/simulation, I think it's a GREAT idea! For now, I'm not able to play most games as I do not have a, what do you call it...accelerated graphics card? Call me old fashioned... M <p>...or not.</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showLocalUserPublicProfile?login=thecaesariansection>The Caesarian Section</A> at: 2/17/01 10:05:31 am<br></i>
I have a Voodoo 3/2000 card, but it's not only obsolete but 3Dfx has been bought out by NVidia, how make a better card anyway.<br>
There is a new GeForce-2 MX card that goes for about $100 and is superior to my Voodoo by a long shot and costs less.<br>
<br>
These are the only reason to upgrade computer equipment nowadays: Romanarmy.com is not really CPU intensive. <p></p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
Thanks for moving it over Section. This idea (of a Roman Total War) has been floated around on various Shogun boards. Long threads at the dojo have been on this. Rumors have been heard threatening to make your idea a reality. Wouldn't it be great? <p></p><i></i>
Do you have the URL's of those boards? Would not hurt to add my two cents. <p></p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
The best board is the Sword Dojo. THere another one at the community site, but that's a lot less friendly and not as well run. Go to the dojo and sort through the older off topic threads a bit, the discussions been one to death, but it keeps coming back. Just don't post a thread suggesting you've had this bright idea noones thought of before, Those that do have been known to be lynched .<br>
<br>
Shiro'll agree with me that the dojo's the best forum, we were both recruited from there rather than the Roman fraternity on the internet, which I suppose makes us jenny's german guards. she obviously can't trust her legions loyalty. <p>It's not a bug, it's a feature</p><i></i>
In the name of heaven Catiline, how long do you propose to exploit our patience..
Has a certain ring to it.. <p></p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
LOL! Germani corporis custodes... if my recollection serves me. I'm actually reading Michael Speidel's book right now on the very subject. Synchronicity!<br>
<br>
I hope Rich doesn't wander into OT, though; he might encounter my evil twin... She's been known to tweak a nose or two in her time on the board, quite unlike my very gentle and quiet self here. ODE EM<br>
<br>
Well, we all "act out" in one way or another, don't we?<br>
<br>
Truth is, I keep trying to leave the Dojo, as it's really a time-waster, but I still find myself checking in 2-3 times a week. Just to see what the gang is up to, I suppose.<br>
<br>
<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
He he. LOL! You're really getting a name at the dojo, Jenny. <p></p><i></i>
Mariko's motly mob.<br>
<br>
I was glad to see that Romans had been mentioned somewhere in that other board. Now if only the game designers really follow through. There have been enough battles the Romans lost as well as close ones and those whose outcome would have changed history that this would be a great game. I'm not sure that latter concept matters as much to the Japanese, but I'm not as certain of the winds of Asian history.<br>
<br>
If Caesar had lost at Alesia; Claudius repulsed from Britain; Trajan losing in Dacia; Hannibal taking Rome; Anthony beating Caesar; etc. <p></p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
Antony beating Caesar, that'd be difficult<br>
<br>
Actually I'm going to propogate a heresy here and say I don't think that a Roman game would utilise the engine best.Whilst i'd love to see it done, the period of Anvcient history in Europe that suits it best in my opinion is Archaic and Classical Greece. There a similar relatively self contained theatre of war, you have the option of including Thracians, Illyrians etc, but you don't have to. there's a spread of troop types and the option of an expansion pack where you go invading Persia, or vice versa. <p>It's not a bug, it's a feature</p><i></i>
In the name of heaven Catiline, how long do you propose to exploit our patience..
Has anyone heard anything about the Praetorians game from Pyro Studios? I did a search tonight and all I found were previews from last year. Nothing on Pyro's site, nothing on Eidos (I heard they're publishing it). Anyone heard anything?<br>
<p></p><i></i>
I've certainly heard nothing about it since about last May, when there was a lot about it in the Games mags. then nothing. <p></p><i></i>
Hi, Mariko, Cat and other familiar names! Just thought I drop in and mention g**ns! hehe KIDDING!<br>
<br>
I thought a Roman game would be good if it began from the single city and had to expand from there. My first<br>
desire, tho, would be the Italian city states.<br>
<br>
Mariko, I'm still researching Byzantium. I asked my brother what he thought, just yesterday. He said he doesn't know much about the stock market so he probably wouldn't buy any. hehe <p></p><i></i>
Five months later... The game looks to be shaping up pretty well according to ign.com<br>
<br>
Apparently Praetorians covers conquests in Gaul and Egypt before returning to Rome for a bit of a civil war.<br>
<br>
It's still not going to be released till 2002 though, I don't think. <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rome..Total Realism Question and one for Total War version arklore70 1 1,781 02-15-2006, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Optio equitum