Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cananefatian cavalryman
[Image: cananefate_sws.JPG]
This is the tombstone of a Cananefatian soldier. Actually, it's a replica from an original said to be in Algeria. (The replica was in the Swaensteyn Museum in Voorburg; which does not reply to an earlier question.) Does anybody know where the original is?

And another question that will no doubt betray my utter ignorance of the details of ancient warfare: I have never seen a cavalry man with a lance like this. The exception is in the imagebase. He's also a Cananefate. Were the Canafates known as lanciers?

(I studied in Leiden, worked in The Hague; I ought to know more about the tribe that lived over there.)
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
I think he's shown in N.Benseddik, Les troupes auxiliaires de l'armée romaine en Maurétanie Césarienne sous le Haut-Empire (Paris 1979).
Spaul, ALA 2 states that the stone was found in Tipasa, which has a museum.

Can we have the photo for the imagebase, please? Big Grin
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:Can we have the photo for the imagebase, please? Big Grin
It's on it's way. Remember this is not the real thing but a copy.
Jona Lendering
My website
A similar two-handed use of the lance is shown in the Dura Europos graffito. This seems to be typical for the kontos, and I presume it is the same mentioned by Tacitus for the Sarmatians.
Felix Wang
Quote:A similar two-handed use of the lance is shown in the Dura Europos graffito. This seems to be typical for the kontos, and I presume it is the same mentioned by Tacitus for the Sarmatians.
I think I know the graffito; isn't it some sort of catapgract like this one? Can you tell more about the kontos?
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:I have never seen a cavalry man with a lance like this.

I have, it's quite common for Bosporan, Sarmatian, Alan, Parthian or Sassanid Persian cavalry. However, I see it mostly used by heavy cavalry, and I'm a bit surprised to see it used by Cananefatian cavalry. Are you sure this guy came from here?

The contus was a cavalry spear between 2.5 and 4 metres long, not to be confused with the hasta.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:
Jona Lendering:1kqt2a9p Wrote:Are you sure this guy came from here?
Well, that's what they wrote on the sign in the museum. And it appears to be confirmed by the (probable) Cananefate from Carnuntum... So what's our man doing with an Iranian lance?
Jona Lendering
My website
Not Iranian lance, Iranian style of fighting. And since he uses both hands, by far the most imagaes I've seen (Osprey books are full of 'em) show armoured cavalry, since he can't obviously defend himself with a shield. Maybe your man wore a hamata under that tunica?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:
Jona Lendering:2m8uz1dh Wrote:Are you sure this guy came from here?
Well, that's what they wrote on the sign in the museum. And it appears to be confirmed by the (probable) Cananefate from Carnuntum... So what's our man doing with an Iranian lance?

As Robert points out, the two-handed lance (not to be confused with the lancea, which is a javelin) is a steppe style of fighting. Ala I Cannenefatium was based on the Danube in close proximity to steppe peoples for a while and, just as many styles of 2nd- and 3rd-century equipment decoration appear to be steppe-influenced, the weaponry is probably another manifestation of what people used to call 'barbarization' (but is in fact a process that the Roman army had gone through since its inception in the year dot: adaptation). Much more info, discussed with greater weight than I can manage, here:

Coulston, J.C. 1986: 'Roman Parthian and Sassanid tactical developments', in P. Freeman and D.L. Kennedy (eds.), The Defence of the Roman and Byzantine East, BAR International Series 297, Oxford, 59-75

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Thanks!!
Jona Lendering
My website
I apologize, the Dura Europos graffito does show the lance held under arm, but not with both hands. However, there are much later references that discuss twohanded lance combat in detail - the Mamluk furusiyyahs are training manuals for cavalrymen of the 14th century mention two different two-handed styles, as well as one-handed overarm spear use (as is seen on many Roman cavalry illustrations) and the couched lance.
Felix Wang
Valerius Maxantius, of the numerus katafractariorum, has a big long pointy thing as well, but seems to be using only one hand.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine