Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magazine title shortlist
Thanks for the suggestions Deb. We considered Mars, but there are already several magazines with that title. Not to mention the association with the planet.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Yeah, and the first thing I would think of if I saw a mag with that title is that it was for gay men. But otherwise it is catchy title. Smile

Aries sounds too much like an astrology mag and I couldn't think of any other ancient war gods except Ishtar, which unfortunately alludes to possibly the worst Dustin Hoffman movie ever made.

Legionary - The Magazine of Ancient Combat is kinda catchy as well.

If you get a spin-off mag for the Celts, you could call it Blue People. Wink
----------
Deb
Sulpicia Lepdinia
Legio XX
Quote:you could call it Blue People.
:lol:
Actually, it'd have to be Ares, but that sounds too obscure to me.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
D'oh, ARES not Aries. See, good thing that you didn't name it that as it is easily confused with astrology. (Or Ceres, the magazine of ancient breakfast foods. Wink )

I used to work in a planetarium and we got astrology questions all the time. Drove me nuts. Thus I worked really hard to make sure our astrONOMY programs were not confused with the cheap horoscope types.
----------
Deb
Sulpicia Lepdinia
Legio XX
I say Ancient Warfare, here is why:

-The title easely states what the Magz is about, and even the most ordinary of readiers will know (have an idea) of what the Mag is about. Also, anyone who is interested in learing about Ancient Rome and Greece and is doing a search On-Line, that individual is likely to type "Ancient Warfare" instead of Phalanx or Ballica.

-Anything else will not be easely recognized. Also, it may be harder to sell the Magz to outlets (like Bookstores, Newstands, etc) when you have to EXPLAIN what the Mag is about because the owner of the outlet can't identify what the Mag is about by reading the title.

Ancient Warrior, sounds a bit cliche and un-academic. Ancient Soldier is good, but by the title it seems like the Mag would mostly deal about soldier's equipment. While Ancient Warfare seems to indicate that the Mag will have deal with more than just equiptment.

My 2cents about marketing and sales.
Sergio Garcia a.k.a NeoSpartan