Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman boardgames
Foundry Gladiators are probably the best miniatures I've seen. I have a few packs of those and some lions (you gotta have lions!).<br>
Gladiator Miniatures are not that good, but they do make an arena with hexes embossed.<br>
I have just ordered the arena and their rules "Morituri Te Salutant", I'll post a review when I get them.<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Svend Erik <p></p><i></i>
Well I never realized there were so many figures available for gladiators!<br>
<br>
This looks like a fruitful topic for a new game. I think we can do some good work here, whether it turns out as a CCG, a computer game, an RPG, a boardgame, or a blend of these.<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
Anyone here ever play Spellfire, or Magic? While I didn't play Magic, I LOVED Spellfire. It is a fantasy/Dungeon & Dragons based card game. You had your characters, from various fantasy novels, as well as weapons and magic items you could equip them with. Your characters and allies defended your "realms" from the other player, and vice versa. This game was an excellent strategy game, but the only down fall was once you learned an opponent's deck of cards, you knew how to play him, and therefore win. But, the card concept might be initially cheaper than one with models. Jenny, I could either fax or e-mail you the rules, and some sample cards if you want. <p>"Remember, pillage first...then burn"
<BR>
Magnus/Matt<BR>
Optio<BR>
Legio XXX</p><i></i>
Sure, I'd like to see some Spellfire cards, just to get an idea of how the "equipping" thing works.<br>
<br>
The thing to remember about Roman gladiators, though, is that they were equipped along very traditional and inflexible lines -- the equipment sets were standardized according to the "type" of the gladiator: secutor, retiarius, etc.<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
Jenny, I have an idea. If you don't mind waiting, I can send you a pile of the cards, along with an extra copy of the rules that I have. In the meantime, I'll scan some of the cards in, and send a description of each one.<br>
<br>
Also, did I send you an e-mail with a new icon? Would you mind posting it for me so I can use it as my personal icon? Thanks. <p>"Only Trajan could go to Dacia."<BR>
<BR>
Magnus/Matt<BR>
Optio<BR>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix" </p><i></i>
No, I don't mind at all. Thanks!<br>
<br>
You can send it here:<br>
<br>
Jenny Cline<br>
HHC 26th ASG<br>
CMR 419, BX 411<br>
APO AE 09102<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny

Hey Jenny,<br>
<br>
I just sent you an e-mail with some scanned playing cards to tide you over until the mail arrives. I sent you an envelope with a bunch of cards, as well as a copy of the rules. The above address is a US military one right? So all I need is a US stamp, and the Army will do the rest?<br>
<br>
Not sure how long the mail will take, but let me know when you get the stuff.<br>
<br>
<p>"Only Trajan could go to Dacia."<BR>
<BR>
Magnus/Matt<BR>
Optio<BR>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix" </p><i></i>
Yes, perfect, it's regular US mail.<br>
<br>
Thanks again,<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny

Jenny<br>
<br>
Hello, I have played a number of wargames and boardgames for as long as I can remember and by far the best system, IMHO, is percentage based like Runequest or the old Judge Dredd game. No charts no tables just whatyou have in front of you on your sheet.<br>
<br>
I developed a game that was almost turned into a computer game a couple of years back as well. So if you want to get chatting feel free to drop me a note at home. Also with our work into gladiators we might be able to help in other ways, equipment photos etc ... I am sure we can have fun doing this.<br>
<br>
Let me know whether I can help or not.<br>
<br>
All the best<br>
<br>
Graham <p></p><i></i>
Some more 28mm gladiators, some icky paint jobs (spot the hypocrite...), but the basic metal looks ok...<br>
<br>
www.westwindproductions.c...iator+Wars <p><BR><a href="http://pub45.ezboard.com/fromanarmytalkfrm6.showMessage?topicID=53.topic" target="Rules For Posting"></p><i></i>
In the name of heaven Catiline, how long do you propose to exploit our patience..
At a model show in Germany today, I saw a set of rules and models by a British company. See their site here. <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Someone suggested the game 'Hannibal' (subtitle 'war against rome or smthg like that), which got excellent reviews but seems to be out of print. Theres a series, but this seems to be the best. Anyone know if it is still available, or if there is a similar current game? Someone was selling a secondhand copy on a gaming site for $50 US... that seems a bit steep to me. Or is that the usual price for this type of game?<br>
<br>
I also saw a mention of SPQR - any good?<br>
<br>
I'd like a good boardgame to start off with until I get some miniatures.<br>
<br>
thanks!!<br>
P.S. <p></p><i></i>
The game "Hannibal" by the now-defunct Avalon Hill is really excellent, very easy to get into, fast paced and on the strategic level with aspects of politics, player negotiation, and battles on a macro scale.<br>
<br>
SPQR is okay, not easy to learn or play, and not for the wargaming neophyte. Get the series if you enjoy managing Roman battles on a unit level. I do like the way SPQR system handles the impact of field leadership. You (the player) do not have godlike control over every unit all the time.<br>
<br>
It's not easy to teach enough people how to play Avalon Hill's "Republic of Rome," but that is my other Roman gaming favorite. It's principally a political game of intrigue and double-dealing, as players and the factions they control vie for advantage yet are frequently compelled to work together when external crises threaten the Roman state. Plays like history.<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny

Republic of Rome is great fun, and especially if you have several people playing! We had a campaign game going for a while, but everyone got PCSed (moved) and it wasn't as much fun by mail. Now, over the internet it might be interesting........EM . <p>"Just before class started, I looked in the big book where all the world's history is written, and it said...." Neil J. Hackett, PhD ancient history, professor OSU, 1987</p><i></i>
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
I have played Siege of Jerusalem numerous times...Currently attempting to convert the old Avalon Hill classic to computer using "Aide de Camp 2" which is a board game conversion utility by HPS Simulations, link below. Although ADC2 does not have artificial intelligence its a great way to play the old board games/simulations via email.<br>
Nice site JRS !<br>
<br>
Thanks<br>
<br>
Chris Beckman<br>
<br>
www.hpssims.com <br>
[email protected] <br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=cbclimber@romanarmytalk>cbclimber</A> at: 2/27/03 11:51:15 am<br></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Boardgames and solitaire wargames jmkinki 7 6,913 04-16-2017, 07:18 PM
Last Post: flavioezio
  Ancient Rome Boardgames PunkReaper 5 4,088 05-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Severus
  boardgames Q Rutilius 14 5,659 02-03-2008, 12:18 AM
Last Post: StrategyM