Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turning a phalanx (Marathon)
As is well known, during the battle of Marathon, the wings of the Athenian phalanx were strengthened. They defeated the Persian wings and attacked the center.

I can imagine two ways of turning around.

(1) The men who are closest to the center are almost stationary, the phalanx turns like a giant spoke in a wheel; the men at the edge of the wing have to make a long walk, and are, after this maneuver, in the center.

(2) The men stand still, raise their spears, turn 180 degrees, and -presto!- everybody is ready to attack again. Those who had been on the front line and must have been tired from the first fight, are now at the back; and those who were at the back, are now at the front.

I hope I have described this clearly. For one reason or another, I always see maps with a maneuver like (1), whereas (2) appears to be easier. Does anyone know which type is more likely?
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
The Greek army even with reinforced wings would be amoving oblong.
Well drilled troops can do it. It does not require "spartan standart" to move by units(taxis) with the aid of the paean. Drilled troops can do that.
The Athenians would move at normal pace in open order.
If they had deployed the psiloi as skirmisers they can retire though the hoplite ranks.
The drastic range of the bows is 200 meters. The distance between the armies was estimated 1500 meters.
The Athenians advance at least 1000 meters in open order.
Then they level the spears (proptosis).
Next they lock shields (synaspismos).
After tests with the "agema" here in Greece we concluded it must be done in that order.
In this form(synaspismos), Athenians could fast pace another 300 meters.
It would take a very lucky shot even to wound somebody and not all Persian army were archers. The last 200 meters could beasily run.
At Watford Hopliticon festival we ran 200 meters in full armor. Its tough but possible. Paull allen before demonstrated that an experienced archer could fire onlly 3 arrows beroe the hoplite was upon him.

The 2 oblongs clash. The persian center holds each own while the wings bolt. I belive that Datis knew that but he hoped that his wings will not break very fast or at least they would hold till he had punched through the Greek center.
After the initial shock of impact the wings have advaned and the center was forced back.
The hoplites did not fight in intervals like the legionaries. It was just push push till one side gave up.
One factor for the Athenian centers stout conduct was the fact that was composed from men of Marathon and Kropaea whose properties would be the first to be looted and pillaged.

Kind regards
It's a digression, but I once saw a program on History Channel about Spartans. There was a comment that most non-spartan phalanxes slowly dragged rightwards as the men tried to get extra shielding from the man to their right, by "creeping" behind his shield. I assume that would make manouvering slightly more difficult.
"There are some who call me... Tim..."

Sic vis pacem, para bellum

Exitus acta probat

Nemo saltat sobrius

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Fortes Fortuna Aduvat

"The enemy outnumber us a paltry three to one! Good odds for any Greek!"
Well there is a debate but most people belive that the Archaic phalanx was one big oblong mass. But on the 5th century phalnx was sub devided into tactical units because with the increase of the hoplite numbers after the democratic reforms the phalanx had grew large.
Its easier to advance in open order avoiding the "creeping effect".
When the synaspismos command is given timeing is all to make the men charge without giving the "creeping" effect time to mess you phalanx.
Thats where the psiloi come usefull securing the flanks even if the only have a "psychological" effect.
Kind regards.
This is a bit OT... but is relateted to Marathon...

I found a store selling -> Marathon Beer <- . Brewed in Greece, and seems to depict some dark sillouett runners in the pottery style of that period. Will try it tonight.

LYKAON
(Ralph izard)
Great comments! Thanks all!
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Once a unit is divided into subunits, as Stephanos says, it becomes much easier to turn a unit. The subunits can each be turned, and the arcs are much smaller than the big arc if the whole phalanx were turned as one piece. Then, when the subunits are all turned, they well be one behind the other; they can be marched so they are all in one line again.
Felix Wang