Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
promise to be oneof the last of these kind of posts-rome hbo
Quote:Sigh.

rkmvca1, could you please add your real name into your signature? Forum rules.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
For Woad,
Start reading books, start buying books, use the spell check (like i always do!!), typing fast is a stupid remark for spelling so badly and it reads awful!!
Tot ziens.
Geert S. (Sol Invicto Comiti)
Imperator Caesar divi Marci Antonini Pii Germanici Sarmatici ½filius divi Commodi frater divi Antonini Pii nepos divi Hadriani pronepos divi Traiani Parthici abnepos divi Nervae adnepos Lucius Septimius Severus Pius Pertinax Augustus Arabicus ½Adiabenicus Parthicus maximus pontifex maximus
Quote:[url:1os37zi2]http://www.jeremysuttonhibbert.com/features.asp?fldfeatures=23[/url]
[url:1os37zi2]http://www.jeremysuttonhibbert.com/features.asp?fldfeatures=2[/url]
I absolutely love those images.....there is one tribe, I think they are of the Romani peoples who claim their ancestry as Roman. Somebody posted some images of them wearing what look like caligae..was it on here or another forum??
The Gypsies (the general name) I believe could be initially descended from the Euroasian Steppes nomads..the covered wagons, connections with horses etc, rather than the Berber nomads or Asian Indians.
Regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roma_people
[Image: ebusitanus35sz.jpg]

Daniel
martin i dont understand your answers to questions 3 and 4.
what fantasy?
yes probably but no?

and to 9. and 10.
i wasnt talking about whatlanguage romans talked (latin of course) but what they talked about

10. can some one answer 10 more clearly
cutitng the grass for Martin,

What Martin propably wants to say that you should see Rome (the TV-serie) for what it is: a nice story situated in ancient Rome. NOT a historical reference. If you really want to know what ancient Rome looks like try some of the books available in your library. Peter Connolly has a nice book about ancient Athens and Rome of how both of them looked like.

Romans were humans like you and me: they also talked about everyday things (the weather, terrible day at work etc.)
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
the armour for one thing was fantasy. hehe but we've been here before
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
Quote:rkmvca1 wrote:
Quote:Sigh.

rkmvca1, could you please add your real name into your signature? Forum rules.

Guilty as charged, m'lud. It's a fair cop.

I'll go quietly.

rkmvca/rich klein
I thought you promised to try not to do all the things I and many others have mentioned- one of them was not asking the same questions again and again...

Quote:1. was the city really that dirty and grimy and gritty? was the stone fromt eh temples really that dirty ,and blackened?

Who knows? None of us was there 2000 years ago.

Quote:2. Most of the characters faces on the series have this aged kind of dirty look to them, is this the work of makeup, and effects, or could real romans look like that?

Sure at times- the same way a construction worker can look dirty after a long day. The Romans liked baths, so I doubt they looked like that all the time. You're again focusing on what's probably a point in time Francis- even in the show they don't look dirty all the time- only after battles, long marches, days of work, etc.

Quote:3. Were there things in this movie that are not historicaly accurate?

Virtually everything has an element of inaccuracy about it- many things are quite wrong or complete fantasy- like the legionary 't-shirt' with the eagle stencil on it. Some 'artist' came up with that one. The mail is wrong, the gladii, pugiones, standards (they're terrible), horse equipment, coins (they're bad too), accents (why all Romans sound English is Hollywood through-and-through)... better to ask what IS accurate- the list would be shorter.

4. Would it be possible for such a story, as Vorenus and pullos be actually true?

Well it's true that some centuriones beat their men- do we have any idea if there was a significant class separation like there was/is(?) in the British Army, for example? I don't think so. I enjoyed the character dynamic, but I don't think there's any way to know if it was realistic

Quote:5. was murder that acceptable in ancient rome? where was the justice? could a roman just kill a guy on the street and get away with it?
Well you should remember Antionius complaining that he had to crucify a legionary for killing a citizen...

Quote:6.gladiator scene: can flesh really cut that easily? like when pullo chopped of that guys head with his SHIELD is that possible that the flesh cuts (BOBES) like butter?

Not a chance. It's not necessarily to cut off a head with a sword or axe- just look at the execution of Mary Queen of Scots...

Quote:7. Were there other dramatic stories like this one that could be told from other times of rome history?

Sure- read Plutarch's Lives, Caesar's Gallic Wars, and any other ancient author you can find. Some is dry, but there are lots of neat tidbits.

Quote:8. this is kind of dumb but all well it is important: could ordinary roman have real adventures like say pullo, that we dont know about historically?
or other scenarios happening like for example the whole drama with that baby child lucius?

Sure, why not? As they say, 'truth is stranger than fiction' and 'there's nothing new under the sun'- I mean think about it: you're talking about millions and millions of people over centuries, sure most anything you can imagine happening now probably happened then too...

Quote:9. Dialouge: Did romans actually talk like in this series? Did they have conversations about things portrayed in this series? fro example: lucius asking advice about women to vorenus? or other things too!

Sure, why not? If there was a class separation between primus pilus centuriones and regular legionaries, perhaps that actual conversation wouldn't have been likely, but sure people would have discussed things like that- it wasn't easy to research things like it is now, so they had to ask others...

Quote:10. Overal look: could this show be actually almost exactly what the roman world look like? was it really that kind of epic, or am I blinded by makeup, and cgi and lighting and effects? could ancient rome and its people look like in this series? naturally?

Yes and no. It was pretty cool visually I think and it was entertaining if you don't get hung up on the inaccuracies, but it was pure Hollywood in a lot of ways- they had the money and ability to get a LOT more right, but chose not to it seems. No one knows exactly what Rome looked like or what everyday society was exactly like- with respect to conversations people had, etc. so for the kabillionth time WE JUST DON'T KNOW :lol: So, just like most everything in the way of movies and even documentaries about Rome, you should consider them entertainment and not definite fact. Better to look at photographs of real places and read real authors than to watch movies and TV- take the latter as entertainment only.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
I for one was VERY pleased to see an effort in dressing the troopers with mail instead of the typical segmentatas or leather orgies.
Sad about the careless helmet, shields, etc...

All in all was happy to have seen (and own) the series and look forward to Anthony and Octavian hunting Brutus & Co. down.
[Image: ebusitanus35sz.jpg]

Daniel
i know the shields were in accurate, but what about the helmets?
why?
what material is that?
Quote:i know the shields were in accurate, but what about the helmets?
why?
what material is that?
Correct material, wrong shape. They look like helmets from Trajan's Column, so they are roughly 150 years too early, and there is great scepticism about whether the ones on TC look like the real thing, or if they are stylised and not even accurate there in the first place.

You can find the right shapes by looking through older threads.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:martin i dont understand your answers to questions 3 and 4.
what fantasy?
yes probably but no?

and to 9. and 10.
i wasnt talking about whatlanguage romans talked (latin of course) but what they talked about

10. can some one answer 10 more clearly

I ment that it is a fantasy of the producers! What they think was rome and what was rome is two diffrent things.

Two Pullo and Vorenius like characters have most sertanly existed and does exist today in any outfit, so the chances are good something simillar happend but that two soldiers survived so many diffrent hazards and was the same who retrived the eagles and the same who found Pompey is rather unlikly.
ok about the helmets
so what material exaclty are they?
Quote:i know the shields were in accurate, but what about the helmets?
why?
what material is that?

No they werent. Too small, too shallow a curve, they had the sound of metal (of course this was foley, but still made them appear to be metal), they had tiny umbones and all had applique decoration. Just like every production except for Gladiator, the scuta were only sort of okay but not terribly good.

The helmets appeared to be intended to be copper alloy, but were probably plastic. They seem to be the style shown on Trajan's Column, but I know of no original that has the eyelet on top or that style of cheekguards/ neckguard. Not very authentic...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!