Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
promise to be oneof the last of these kind of posts-rome hbo
i know there is a board below me on this, but I read it,htese ARE VERY IMPORTANT AND SPECIFIC QUESTIONS
i need to know

please whoever stumbles on this board please take the time to help me and read it and reply.

I bought the series and watched all episodes.
I know maybe some of these questions have been asked before, dont be mad at me, they are very important to me please help.

1. was the city really that dirty and grimy and gritty? was the stone fromt eh temples really that dirty ,and blackened?

2. Most of the characters faces on the series have this aged kind of dirty look to them, is this the work of makeup, and effects, or could real romans look like that?

3. Were there things in this movie that are not historicaly accurate?

4. Would it be possible for such a story, as Vorenus and pullos be actually true?

5. was murder that acceptable in ancient rome? where was the justice? could a roman just kill a guy on the street and get away with it?

6.gladiator scene: can flesh really cut that easily? like when pullo chopped of that guys head with his SHIELD is that possible that the flesh cuts (BOBES) like butter?

7. Were there other dramatic stories like this one that could be told from other times of rome history?

8. this is kind of dumb but all well it is important: could ordinary roman have real adventures like say pullo, that we dont know about historically?
or other scenarios happening like for example the whole drama with that baby child lucius?

9. Dialouge: Did romans actually talk like in this series? Did they have conversations about things portrayed in this series? fro example: lucius asking advice about women to vorenus? or other things too!

10. Overal look: could this show be actually almost exactly what the roman world look like? was it really that kind of epic, or am I blinded by makeup, and cgi and lighting and effects? could ancient rome and its people look like in this series? naturally?

only ten questions
good long replies, I am apprecitve of any
please reply help out
Sigh.
Quote:i know there is a board below me on this, but I read it,these ARE VERY IMPORTANT AND SPECIFIC QUESTIONS
i need to know

(Try using spell check to show that you are serious)

please whoever stumbles on this board please take the time to help me and read it and reply.

I bought the series and watched all episodes.
I know maybe some of these questions have been asked before, don't be mad at me, they are very important to me please help.

1. was the city really that dirty and grimy and gritty? was the stone front eh temples really that dirty ,and blackened? YES

2. Most of the characters faces on the series have this aged kind of dirty look to them, is this the work of makeup, and effects, or could real Romans look like that? YES if they didn't have a bath.

3. Were there things in this movie that are not historically accurate? YES

4. Would it be possible for such a story, as Vorenus and pullos be actually true? Maybe, I haven't seen the series.

5. was murder that acceptable in ancient Rome? where was the justice? could a roman just kill a guy on the street and get away with it? Sometimes

6.gladiator scene: can flesh really cut that easily? like when pullo chopped of that guys head with his SHIELD is that possible that the flesh cuts (BOBES) like butter? YES, With a sharp enough blade, the only thing that slows you down are the bones, just like cutting a turkey, except warmer and wetter. What is BOBES? Next time I cut the head off of a cow, should I video it for you?

7. Were there other dramatic stories like this one that could be told from other times of Rome history? Plenty. Try reading Gallic Wars, by Julius Caesar, find out about the real people from the movie.

8. this is kind of dumb but all well it is important: could ordinary roman have real adventures like say pullo, that we don't know about historically?
or other scenarios happening like for example the whole drama with that baby child lucius? I haven't seen the series , yet. People have adventures every day that aren't on the news, even more so people 2000 years ago could have adventures that we don't have a record about.

9. Dialog: Did Romans actually talk like in this series? Did they have conversations about things portrayed in this series? fro example: lucius asking advice about women to vorenus? or other things too!
I didn't see the series, have to answer this later.

10. Overall look: could this show be actually almost exactly what the roman world look like? was it really that kind of epic, or am I blinded by makeup, and CGI and lighting and effects? could ancient Rome and its people look like in this series? naturally?

see my answer to #9

only ten questions
good long replies, I am appreciative of any
please reply help out

Try using Spell Check?
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
alright listen
concerning my spelling I AM SORRY i type fast
as to the answers to some of my questions, I am very grateful you took the time to reand and answer
but some of them arent adequate enough for me (if i sound mean know that I am not) seeing as you have not seen the series even.
i need real answers not just a yes or no
expalinations
I really appricate REALLY DO APPRECIATE your help caius fabius

concerning flesh wounds, I wish that was true, but I cant believe it , I have never killed some one berfore, and that slicing flesh through butter is too hollywood for me, what was it really like?
I am saying this because I couldnt even chop a stick of wood with one stroke of a sword.

PLEASE REPLY
even if to only one
It is much easier if you actually have spent hours practicing with a weapon. I now have a lovely blade that my father carried when he went to war in World War 2, Korea and Viet Nam, and he gave to me when I enlisted in the military. You sharpen it on a leather strap, just like a razor. It is not for cutting wood, or paper or cloth. It has a sole function of cutting flesh.

In my years of military (infantry/combat arms) service, practicing my fighting skills, (when I was much younger than today!), and butchering animals in the present time, I have learned many things about swords, knives, blades and stabbing and cutting flesh.

From my experiences on the receiving end, a stab that does not cut major blood vessels, organs or tendons is nasty, but you can keep on going. Later you need stitches or butterflies, but unless you lose a lot of blood or hit one of a few major pain centers, you can shrug it off. I still have scars from various stupid knife accidents, (obviously none were fatal) (but it burns a bit when you get cut or stabbed) then it hurts more, later. I was slashed to the femur along my thigh, in one accidental injury, the wound didn't bleed much until I started walking to the medics, then it hurt and bled a bit. You could see the open meat, the flesh, and the bone. Since it was a vertical cut, on the outside of the thigh, it healed rather well, with minimal damage to the muscles.

There are places close to the surface of a person where you can kill without a deep cut. That is usually easier, and quicker, and taught for certain kinds of combat.

In real life, I saw a man with the front 3/4ths of his neck cut through by a machete. His spine was still attached. He died in less than a minute, as far as I could tell, no first aid would have helped. This was a single swing by a guy who used machetes to cut vines and small trees. He knew what he was doing.

The other day, I killed a 14 year old 1400 pound, long horn bull, and then with my "special knife" cut his throat all the way around, just above the shoulder blades, just like slicing through warm butter. There was no feeling of resistance, but I stopped just short of his neck-bone, because I don't want to damage the edge on the blade. (Used a heavy axe to sever the neck-bone). His head is now on a wall in my father's home.

I have a butcher with a two-handed blade who can remove the bull's head with one stroke while it is alive, but it has more mass, and is a two-handed weapon. It would be easy enough to cut a man through the body with this weapon.

Some Japanese and Medieval warriors took pride in being able to cut a man in two with one stroke from a two-handed sword.

Yes, you can cut off a human head, arm, leg or whatever, with a sharp sword, IF you know how to use it. Wood is harder than flesh. Even dry wood is sometimes harder than bone. If you don't believe me, ... well, there are experiments I could suggest....

:twisted:
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
see also this post:

HBO's "Rome" to present more realistic look at the
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Quote:1. was the city really that dirty and grimy and gritty? was the stone fromt eh temples really that dirty ,and blackened?
I belive it too be a more beliveble porttrait of Rome than in Gladiator... In Imperial time it is belived that over 1 million lived in the area.
Quote:2. Most of the characters faces on the series have this aged kind of dirty look to them, is this the work of makeup, and effects, or could real romans look like that?
Yes! Look around you... we have almost the same genes still....
Quote:3. Were there things in this movie that are not historicaly accurate?
Yes, alot. But to me it was the best fantasy of Rome so far in TV/film.
Quote:4. Would it be possible for such a story, as Vorenus and pullos be actually true?
Real life is wierd, so Yes but probbally no.
Quote:5. was murder that acceptable in ancient rome? where was the justice? could a roman just kill a guy on the street and get away with it?
No, but with enough money evil geius or dumb luck you could get away with is, just like today...
Quote:6.gladiator scene: can flesh really cut that easily? like when pullo chopped of that guys head with his SHIELD is that possible that the flesh cuts (BOBES) like butter?
That seemed a little over the top to me but I have not tried to duplicate the feat. I have choped of heads of dead animals though with all cinds of sharp blades.
Quote:7. Were there other dramatic stories like this one that could be told from other times of rome history?
Yes!
Quote:8. this is kind of dumb but all well it is important: could ordinary roman have real adventures like say pullo, that we dont know about historically?
or other scenarios happening like for example the whole drama with that baby child lucius?
Yes! Read up on vaius adventures of people during history. Start with the sheppardbuy David in Israel some 3000 years ago and move forward...
Quote:9. Dialouge: Did romans actually talk like in this series? Did they have conversations about things portrayed in this series? fro example: lucius asking advice about women to vorenus? or other things too!
No they spoke vulgar latin. I´ve heard that modern Romanian is the language closest to that today and some dialects in Italy. In terms of cursing, foul language and other... Yes! That´s very possible!
Quote:10. Overal look: could this show be actually almost exactly what the roman world look like? was it really that kind of epic, or am I blinded by makeup, and cgi and lighting and effects? could ancient rome and its people look like in this series? naturally?
No, it´s a fantasy, a storie, a fairytale but a pretty good one... Look around you again and picture the faces you see around you here on the forum, put the impressions people do here and give it a everyday-look of wear and tear to the clothes and I belive you get a good picture.
Quote:
Quote:2. Most of the characters faces on the series have this aged kind of dirty look to them, is this the work of makeup, and effects, or could real romans look like that?
Don't just think of modern western appearances. Here are photographs which show people whose lifestyles probaby reflect the ancients far more than ours:
link from old RAT
link from old RAT
link from old RAT

Quote:
Quote:9. Dialouge: Did romans actually talk like in this series? Did they have conversations about things portrayed in this series? fro example: lucius asking advice about women to vorenus? or other things too!
No they spoke vulgar latin. I´ve heard that modern Romanian is the language closest to that today and some dialects in Italy. In terms of cursing, foul language and other... Yes! That´s very possible!
This is a debatable subject. Go here for an alternative view:
link from old RAT
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:
Quote:
Don't just think of modern western appearances. Here are photographs which show people whose lifestyles probaby reflect the ancients far more than ours:
link from old RAT
link from old RAT
link from old RAT

Quote:
This is a debatable subject. Go here for an alternative view:
link from old RAT

Yes their lifestyle yes but I was thinking in the terms of diversity ancestry among the citiezens of Rome! The pictures of Jeromy Sutton Hibbins was great thoughSmile

And there was lots of speculative and questionable qoutes in the article you refered too in that other tread.
Quote:And there was lots of speculative and questionable qoutes in the article you refered too in that other tread.
Absolutely, I agree. But it is worth reading, as the Romanian claims are also hotly disputed I seem to recall. :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Okey! Fair enough!

But there is no denial just not to disorentate young Woady, that Italian and Spanish and Romanian and French is closer to the Latin than Modern English...
Quote:Italian and Spanish and Romanian and French is closer to the Latin than Modern English...

Of course. Francis, modern English is more Germanic.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Francis, you've asked about grime and grit before, re. makeup: http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... 64&start=0

Also, don't do this anymore:
Quote:ARE VERY IMPORTANT AND SPECIFIC QUESTIONS
i need to know
and
Quote:only ten questions
good long replies, I am apprecitve of any
please reply help out
Everyone's questions on this board are equally important and deserve each member's attention equally. We all assume everyone posts their questions because they would like to have them answered and we all assume they are grateful of other members' replies to them.
You've been told before, on multiple occasions in fact, that your spelling and grammar needs to improve. You've also been asked before to focus on what you want to know and try not to ask for an answer that, to reply to it properly, would require something approaching an encyclopedic article.

In short: you ignore what you've been suggested, asked, told and ordered by members, mods and administrators. This is not an unwillingness to answer your questions, but you need to fix your etiquette on this forum or your privileges will be revoked!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Woady, my young friend, of course a well honed sword could slice through flesh like a knife through butter...that's kinda the point of having a sword! ;D ...Not too Hollywood at all...
Gaius...
Adrian Hudson
Quote:alright listen
concerning my spelling I AM SORRY i type fast

PLEASE REPLY
even if to only one

I will reply to this. No, you do not type fast. A fast typist is one who types so many 5 character groups per minute without mistakes. You may keyboard away with lots of keystrokes, but if they are not correct and in the proper order, you might as well be letting your cat type for you.

Fast typing implies that you are not making errors and that people can actually understand what your are typing. You can use 1. Spell check, which is a part of the RAT forum, just to help out or you can write your posts in a different format, save them and spell check them, or you can actually learn to do proper typing/data entry instead of sloppy and inadequate attempts at communication. If English is your first language, you have no excuse for this. If it is not, perhaps we can help you with a better translation program.
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot