Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Il-2 Forgotten Battles
Quote:IL-2 FB, and AE, and Pacific fighters pacthed to 4.04 are totally bug free for me now

IL-2 has always had one of the best flight dynamics of all flight simulators (except when you get into a spin when it is extraordinarily difficult to get out of it using the standard recovery method, largely because all spins seem to be flat). In fact, one of the closest to real flying that I have come across, right down to the prestall buffet. Sadly the AI, as in most sims, sucks.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:IL-2 FB, and AE, and Pacific fighters pacthed to 4.04 are totally bug free for me now

IL-2 has always had one of the best flight dynamics of all flight simulators (except when you get into a spin when it is extraordinarily difficult to get out of it using the standard recovery method, largely because all spins seem to be flat). In fact, one of the closest to real flying that I have come across, right down to the prestall buffet. Sadly the AI, as in most sims, sucks.

Yeah sorry I meant bugs as in missions which won't load or planes that cause the game to crash when you put 250lb bombs on and stuff like that.

I don't know how accurate the ability to get out of a spin is having never been a pilot in an aircraft in a spin? (thank god!! Confusedhock: ) I tend to recover about 70-80% of spins, and I do spin quite a lot, though I'm far to unrealistic in the way I try and fly, but it is a game after all. I'm sure I'd be more carefull if I was actually 1000's of feet above the ground!

I didn't think the AI was that bad, but I often just play intercepts against bombers if I can, and with friends through LAN or online so the AI is quite realistic in the latter! Big Grin
On a cold and gray Chicago mornin\'
A poor little baby child is born
In the ghettoooooo...
(vocalist extrodinaire- Eric Cartman)
HOLY COW Confusedhock: Il2 Forgotten Battles with the Aces Expansion pack is the GREATEST COMBAT FLIGHT SIM EVER!! I'm totally blown away by the incredible graphics- the ground especially- and the realism is just awesome. Virtually everything happens just as I've always read in personal histories of various pilots right down to a single 3cm MK108 shell being enough to blow the wing off a fighter-sized aircraft. And the skins? That's just a phenomenal feature- being able to change them at will. I'm always annoyed by the lack of proper markings on Luftwaffe aircraft, so being able to correct this lame situation is just great Smile

My only qualms are the unbelieveably huge muzzle flash from some weapons, a bit too much shake caused by firing, the excessively wide contrails of small-caliber ammunition, and the weird tracer colors. None is a mortal flaw by any means, but were these to be addressed, it'd be all but perfect! Anyone know if some bright computer whiz out there has written a patch maybe that addresses any of these things?

The muzzle flash especially is a bit crazy. I've seen many, many, many gun camera films and even a bunch shot from inside cockpits and a flash that interferes with the pilots view is just not realistic.

One particularly cool piece of film shot by the gunner of a Bf110 over the pilot's shoulder as he attacks a lighthouse shows that there's not much in the way of shake even from 4 7,92mm MG17s and a pair of 2cm MGFF cannon, and the tracers are far more visible than the little whispy contrails the bullets leave. Even film of the firing of 3cm MK108 shells clearly shows the tracers are easy to follow and the plane doesn't shake much (in comparison to, for example, that of a P51 with its 6 .50 machine guns).

Regardless of these little things, I'm just amazed... especially when I think back to the first WWII combat sim I ever played... The Battle of Britain and it's sequel Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe Big Grin Awesome games for their time, but the advancement to IL2 is just unbelievable...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Hi guys!

I bought it last night, il2 The Ultimate Flight Ciollection:

.Pacific Fighters
.Lock On
.IL2 Stumovik

I like it alot, but I cant figure it out how to take off stright....

I like how the pilots after their plain are destroyed, some eject, without parashoes :twisted: :lol:

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
I need to get that sim, it looks brilliant.

You want the perfect accessory? Check this out, it actually works:
[url:1i2qg4oe]http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/02-products/product-TrackIR-4-PRO.html[/url]
[url:1i2qg4oe]http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/03-enhanced-games/game-il2-sturmovik-forgotten-battles-ace.html[/url]

I just got one for animation purposes, but it's gonna be getting plenty of proper use Big Grin
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:I need to get that sim, it looks brilliant.

You want the perfect accessory? Check this out, it actually works:
[url:2neaudaz]http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/02-products/product-TrackIR-4-PRO.html[/url]
[url:2neaudaz]http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/03-enhanced-games/game-il2-sturmovik-forgotten-battles-ace.html[/url]

I just got one for animation purposes, but it's gonna be getting plenty of proper use Big Grin

Wow! Tarbi thanks! :o

Now that & the new joystick would do the fantasy right! 8)
[Image: joystick4st.png]

I just learn how to take off & landing, but not in the right place jet! :oops:

Laudes for ya!

Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
I came from CFS 1-2-3, when I arrived to Il-2 and FB, I took them forever! Just fantastic! Oleg is great!

Matt, if you fly Luftwaffe (I do so), built a mission over Germany in absolutely sunnny conditions over the white carpet of clouds, at about 24.000 feet with a lot of silver B-17s boxes, where you attack them with your me 262s "rotte" (a couple of fighters), with the "roller coaster" manoeuvre, shoot them with your 30 mm guns and all your 24 R4m air to air rockets... And look at the results... :wink:

Be careful with your JUMO 004 jet engines: they are "humoral", and don't reduce too your speed to get the target, or loads of P-51s will submerge you! HORRIDO!

Vale,
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
HOLY CRAP!!! That's amazing!!!!
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Quote:Matt, if you fly Luftwaffe (I do so), built a mission over Germany in absolutely sunnny conditions over the white carpet of clouds, at about 24.000 feet with a lot of silver B-17s boxes, where you attack them with your me 262s "rotte" (a couple of fighters), with the "roller coaster" manoeuvre, shoot them with your 30 mm guns and all your 24 R4m air to air rockets... And look at the results... :wink:

Be careful with your JUMO 004 jet engines: they are "humoral", and don't reduce too your speed to get the target, or loads of P-51s will submerge you! HORRIDO!

Vale,

Oh I did that almost right away myself Daniele- it was an absolute imperative to try flying against a Bomber Pulk Big Grin I learned the hard way that they included the tempermental nature of the JUMO004s- I couldn't understand why one of my engines kept catching fire when I was sure I hadn't been hit, until I realized it was associated with going from 20% power immediately to 90% and that I'd read pilots had to always increase power SLOWLY or risk an engine fire... amazing the details they added to this game...
videos can be seen here! http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/02- ... ideos.html

i would like to find an aforable polygon pen, plus the lazer scaner to make my models to come to live... do you know what I'm talking about?

Darn plains, are a bit complicated to fly... :lol: :lol:

now I'm playing Pacific fighters, its the same as IL2, but with Japanese plain... I can dive at 100% down or make a left ot right turn with that %... i hate watch the film of the instructions because, you not do it at the same time as other game does.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Requiems for forgotten wars Jona Lendering 37 5,211 06-10-2010, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Sean Manning